new Power supply HELP!

hey nice

hey geffy howd u get that info? is there a site that has more info like that? and also my consumption should have to get to 300w on the ones that i fried for them to fry since they arent true power or anything resembleing it i got around 283 if i counted everything

Originally posted by Zedric
The problem I see is that if it already ate two 300W PSUs it may just as well eat the 550W as well. I think something is wrong with your computer. If the PSU is "too small" ot won't just die. At least not to begin with.

That's right. Hell, I've got a 200w PSU, if its underpowered, it just won't die, things won't function correctly, but, it won't just die.

Originally posted by almostfamous88
just get a 350 or 400w power supply. your over doing it with the 500w
shut uo rami! im at least getting a 500 or 520.:mad:

Originally posted by Geffy

Processor
AMD Athlon 900MHz-1.1GHz - 50W
AMD Athlon 1.2MHz-1.4GHz - 55-65W
AMD Duron 1.0MHz-1.3GHz - 50W
AMD Athlon 1.47MHz-1.73GHz - 75W
Intel Pentium III 800MHz-1.26GHz - 40W
Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz-1.7GHz - 65W
Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz-2.0GHz - 75W
Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz-2.4GHz - 90W
Intel Celeron 1.0GHz-1.1GHz - 35W
Intel Celeron 1.2GHz-1.4GHz - 50W

The others are right i think, but these are probably more like

Processor
AMD Athlon 900MHz-1.1GHz - 50W-60W
AMD Athlon 1.2MHz-1.4GHz - 66-72W
AMD Duron 1.0MHz-1.3GHz - 45W-60W
AMD Athlon 1.47MHz-1.73GHz - 65W-75W
Intel Pentium III 800MHz-1.26GHz - 21W-30W
Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz-1.7GHz - 73W-85W
Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz-2.0GHz - 41W-52W
Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz-2.4GHz - 55W-58W
Intel Celeron 1.0GHz-1.1GHz - 28W
Intel Celeron 1.2GHz-1.4GHz - 30-35W

I got that from a great little program called NewWatt 3 which can tell you the power output of every processor and their power output. If you put more voltage or overclock them you can find out the power too. I can't find the link for it right now, google isn't being helpful :(

I agree, you're overdoing it with a 500. 350W or 400W is heaps enough, just get a good brand and you'll be fine. The only reason you'd need that big a supply is if you were watercooling or had lots of cathodes, lots of big fans and lots of drives

im planing on that

im planing on doing that. im ganna put a window in my case inshallah ( saying we have in arabic to not get evil eye) and cold cathodes, maybe an extra fan or two i alread have a 80mm back one so well have to see and also im getting rounded ide cables to increase airflow in the system, and a couple of grils, does anyone know where i can find a tutorial on how to install a fan on the side window and put a gril. how do i install the grill on it?

have you been fiddling with the electric supply to your psu ie rewired plugs and such cuz a psu dieing straigh out is very odd it would get very hot and smell of burning maybe you got wires wrong way or summin as i doubt an amd would blow it up INSTANTLY

also open up blown psu there should be a clear fuse in it thats your best bet that the fuse has blown and just needs replacing
---->with the exact rating or your house and more importatly your pc will be charcoal as the psu might have a fault:)

Brake!!!!!!!!!

FIRST no decent power supply should fail from an overload. It should shutdown and crash your system. Have these supplies been el-cheapo's?

Next - I read the list of equipment in your system and you should not be overloading 300 w power supplies. Pushing them maybe, but not overloading. I have a very similar config and have had my antec 300W supply for 2 years.

Check out www.Tomshardware.com they tested a bunch of supplies and the results were pretty brutal. Antec and Enlight were the best ones from what I remember.

If you were buying decent supplies to begin with then the next question is - how hot is the place you have the computer. A friend of mine had his sitting where the hot air from his heater was blowing on the case. Instead of 75 deg F he was sucking in 90-100 deg F air and fried the system.

If you want to be conservative a 350-400W Antec or Enlight are plenty. BUT before you spend anymore money make sure there isn't something else going wrong like:

Space heater too close, hot air draft, covering up the holes in your case, a bad component in your system drawing too much power (lotsa luck on the last one, you need a DC current probe to check it).

Also with that much equipment you should have at least 1 case fan and preferably 2.

YES!

Doesnt any one undrestand what ive been saying from the begining! i said that they were cheap 300w that shares the w's to all the devices and look at what i have in my case of course it will die, and i didnt die instantly, i took like a day or a couple of hours less! and i have the money so i doesnt matter i like to have a great system i dont care about the money really. In saudi arabia they dont have any good brands or over 300w i went to a block which is all computer stores and non had over 300w most didnt even have 300w they had 250w.

I am having the same problems. I had a 250W PSU running a p4 1.4 3 HDD's and a cd-rom drive. It ran fine for weeks after I put the extra two harddrives. I figured that because the power plug is there to be used it should work fine.

When I turned the power on yesterday there was a strange crackling noise coming from the PSU and the led's on the motherboard were flickering lightly. It didn't sound good, so today I bought a 300W PSU, hooked everything up and turned the power on but nothing happened. The PSU was making a strange high pitch whining sound.

I tried different power leads and power points but nothing. I am wondering whether this has fried my motherboard. Or if its the motherboard that is stuffed up and not the PSU. One thing I think I might have done wrong was connect the power plug to my floppy drive upside down.

I am no electrician and need to know what's going on with my system. Is there anyone who can tell me if its the PSU or more likely a problem with my config.

Cheers.

Re: YES!

Originally posted by themafia_69
Doesnt any one undrestand what ive been saying from the begining! i said that they were cheap 300w that shares the w's to all the devices and look at what i have in my case of course it will die, and i didnt die instantly, i took like a day or a couple of hours less! and i have the money so i doesnt matter i like to have a great system i dont care about the money really. In saudi arabia they dont have any good brands or over 300w i went to a block which is all computer stores and non had over 300w most didnt even have 300w they had 250w.

Well then go online and order a 450W or a 500W+ PSU.

thats the thing

see i found a website that ships internationally and it didnt have the antec 550w so i saw a powmax 500w on it so i wanted to know if that was good, im on the toms hardware site looking at the 21 power supplies comparison, oh and my dad's being a dick about letting me buy it online pisses me off so im not talking to him now, i told him i want my own credit card but hes still being a fag, he usually isnt like this i dont know why??:confused:

I'd definately go for the 480W true blue I think they are way better and they look so mad when you put them in your case (i couldnt stop looking at mine when i got it :blink: ). The 550W is just plain overkill and probably a waste of power and money not to mention that it doesn't look as good and probably has more unnecessary connectors which just clog up your PC.

The Mafia 69 + Top Range System + On Credit + Power Supply Dieing Every Other Day = Major Debt

And Your Dad Would probably end up paying you out of debt
:)

anyway if your power supply blows up then get at least 100 watts more than the old one as it will not give you much slack if you wanna add components

YAY!!!

YAY! my cuzin almostfamous88 bought the antec true blue 480w power supply for me since i dont have my credit card yet andd hes ganna send it . dont worry i will pay him back he didnt just do it from the good of his heart:p but their would have to be good in his heart to do it for me!:happy: thanks rami!

Re: YAY!!!

Originally posted by themafia_69
YAY! my cuzin almostfamous88 bought the antec true blue 480w power supply for me since i dont have my credit card yet andd hes ganna send it . dont worry i will pay him back he didnt just do it from the good of his heart:p but their would have to be good in his heart to do it for me!:happy: thanks rami!

It dosn't bother me if you don't pay him back, I'll just see you on Judge Judy! J/K

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back