New Macbook Pro, Can't install because need password!

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

We had purchased a new macbook pro for the manager (per her request). I am unable to support this because I don't know anything about Mac. I just conferred with the person I set the laptop up with. Neither of us remember setting up any kind of password on the laptop. The user can login to the laptop fine without issue, but when it comes to installing it's asking for a password she doesn't have.

We've tried blank, a password we normally use, a whole bunch of them... no luck. She's even tried changing her password on the user accounts page, nothing! What can we use about the password and how can we get passed it???

What kind of software are you installing. Most software can be easily installed by dropping it into the /Applications folder. Some other stuff requires higher privileges. Normally the first account you setup on the machine will have administrator privileges, at this point you just enter your login user account password to grant the program access to what it needs.

If you look in the System Preferences > Accounts preference pane is the main user account listed with the word "Admin" under the name?

I couldn't tell you right now what a non admin account would have, but I can check on my old iBook when I get back home. I don't really want to add any additional user accounts that I dont need to my main machine.

You might be able to find the other account name by ls'ing the /Users directory in terminal.

Failing that you can set a root password by using the NetInfo Manager in the /Applications/Utilities directory. That might then enable you to resolve the issue.

Alrighty, I will be able to take a look at this on Friday. The user was trying to install software that was provided by Verizon to enable use with the wireless internet anywhere. I don't know how she is trying to install it, I will review your directions when I get there. I do believe she is an Admin, she is the first / only account that is setup on the machine.

But even so... even if she wanted to add a password, she can't. When we went to her account in the users manager, and tried to change password, you need the "old" password to change to a new one... she was prohibited from doing this.

If thats the case I would try setting a root password with NetInfo Manager then in Terminal su to root and use passwd to change her user account password. I am not 100% sure this will work admittedly, I'll test it on my old iBook though later today.

Well I am reasonably sure it will work, but I don't know if anything further is required.

Last edited:
Geffy,

I don't have the slightest idea with what I'm doing with the terminal. I tried su root, but we don't have the password and it's asking for one. And we tried the NetInfo manager thing, but again that failed because we needed to be able to use the password to change her settings. :(

Hey, I'm having the same ploblem installing something from command line. I have my administrators passoword but apparently its not the same as the root. I tried netInfo Manager but all the drop down menus are greyed out...???

Any help would be muchly appreciated :)

Hey, I'm having the same ploblem installing something from command line. I have my administrators passoword but apparently its not the same as the root. I tried netInfo Manager but all the drop down menus are greyed out...???

Any help would be muchly appreciated :)

When you need to be root in terminal, use sudo su

<type in current usernames account password>

and you have root. There is no root password set in Mac OS X, and there should NEVER be a need to do so.

As for NetInfo Manager, you need to click the lock and enter in an administrator username/password.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back