New Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

Very nice, Dave. I'm looking forward to better pics... when does your camera come back? And, uh, how much you selling that cinema display for? ;)

First impressions: HOLY CHRIST THAT's BIG! ... then later on, still thinking the same really. Very nice monitor, will give a better review when I've used it more :)

Muzi, well it's technically not been sent yet, so may be a while. The cinema is going for £500 if you, or anyone you know is interested :)

SPeedY_B said:
Just done some quick math, if they do ship over (note, very rough figures) :

1080 USD -> 565 GBP
+ 17.5% VAT
+ 14% Excise Duty
+ ~$100 Postage
Total: £800.00

I hope the postage isn't that much, I just pulled a nice round figure out the air. I'm not overly sure how much it'll be priced here though, can't see it being below the £800 mark, but a few months ago, I would of said I would never see a 20" Widescreen below £500 (the 2005FPW is currently £472 over here.) so I don't know.

This is a bit annoying though:Bloody customs and excise :D

I dont know if this has been answered .. only if the panel has an internal tv tuner will they charge a duty or importing tariff. I hope that helps.

SPeedY_B said:
Muzi, well it's technically not been sent yet, so may be a while. The cinema is going for £500 if you, or anyone you know is interested :)

I knew I couldn't afford it even before I asked... just had to know though. ;)

Hehe, I paid more than double that when it was new *falls off chair*

It is an ace display and I'll be sad to part with it, that's if I can find someone to buy it :p :D

Very nice review, and I particularly liked the price comparison:
Apple £1250
Benq £1300
HP £1450
Philips £1150
Sony £1450
Viewsonic £1350
Samsung £1200

Just going to show that Apple aren't the most expensive out there. So people really need to shut-up about it. :)

Well, the U.S. pricing scene seems to be very different ;)

Viewsonic $2,075
Sony $1,799
Apple $1,799
Benq $1,499
HP $1,399

I only checked the ones that were priced higher than the Apple display in the UK, but that was the point anyway. The Viewsonic is priced significantly higher because it includes a 3-yr warranty (all the rest are 1-yr).

So yeah, I guess the Sony and Apple are priced the same, which isn't really all that surprising. :D

Freaky.

Ah well, at the time of this post, when it comes down to it, the only logical choice is the dell anyway :p :D

Well, our government is one of the larger group of ****wits on the planet (note: one of, I'm sure there's more) and the general rulings and laws in this country would have most believe that we all thoroughly enjoy paying an absolute fortune for all our goods.

Finally got my new computer desk (Osullivan Model 111062) put together and mounted the 2405FPW to it. I had to do a few modifications to the Dell mount and the flat panel vesa bracket that came with the desk. I lose the ability to adjust to portrait with the new mods, but I not going to loose any sleep! :squareeye

No dead pixels! Got my resolution set to 1920x1200 via DVI and things look very good being powered by my ATI x800 Pro.! The 2405FPW gives a very sharp and bright uniform image from my seating position. This screen is BIG...gonna take some time to get used to it! Will continue tweaking it later, as I'm sure the picture can be improved even more.:yowch:

I played a few rounds of Half Life 2 @ 1920x1200 and was very impressed by what I saw. Wide vistas of City 17 that you don't see @ 1280x1024. And no ghosting. Dell is going to sell a load of these displays to hardcore gamers. And I think this monitor makes a very good dorm or small bedroom display for HDTV (via component) and DVD's.

An image of my new setup and shots of HL2 can be seen at ImageShack. The images are around 600k each, so better if you have a fast connection:

http://img153.exs.cx/gal.php?g=2405fpwnewdesk5ir.jpg

I used a digital camera, but have very little experiance in taking photos of monitors, so you won't be seeing the full pontential of what the 2405FPW is capable of displaying. :rolleyes:

PS..the five dollar US in the pic? It's all the money I got left after buying the 2405FPW! :laugh:

Great aren't they? and may I say, that's a bloody nice desk to go with it too :)

Would love to play HL2 on mine, alas, it'll never happen *shakes fist at valve* :p

SPeedY_B said:
Great aren't they? and may I say, that's a bloody nice desk to go with it too :)

Would love to play HL2 on mine, alas, it'll never happen *shakes fist at valve* :p
Surely you heard of Bit Torent?! He..he...don't go there!

It's not that I can't get my hands on it, it's the fact that i own a Mac, therefore Valve hate me :p

SPeedY_B said:
It's not that I can't get my hands on it, it's the fact that i own a Mac, therefore Valve hate me :p
You poor bloke! You got the best and worst of todays technology!

I haves consoles and friends PC's for games, they just don't have widescreen LCD's though :(

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back