New Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

Wow. 3 24" displays = you have too much money, or no girl, or both. :p

I wonder if you'll be the first here to own an Intel-based PowerMac?

Yes, 3x 24", that's a it unrealistic though. For the price of the 2405, I can get two 2005FPW's to sit either side of my 2405... which is damned tempting, I'm not too sure about the tri-monitor set-up though. We'll see when the time comes :)

I do wish I had too much money :D

I'm really close to buying a 2405FPW, really close.

Speedy - how awesome is it?

EDIT: While I really want it, I sat on my hands so I couldn't grab my wallet until the urge passed. I have a 19" LCD for now, and since I just a few minutes ago bought a new computer instead I can wait a little

Last edited:
2007, 2407, 2707 models coming out mid/end of year with HDCP support, if you care for that kind of thing.

Essentially the same specs as the 2005/2405 other than HDCP support.

Figures now that I have two of them.

Not a big deal if you think about it :)

I am considering the 2707 because it will have a 92% color gamut. Other than that, I don't really care.

HDCP is not going to be prevalent for a while and you can always sell 1 of the monitors for the 2007 if you wanted HDCP. You don't need to switch them both.

That monitor is so cool,maybe I'm gonna get one if I win my tomorrow soccer bet :D

wwwdjrcs said:
Maybe I'll hold out for the 2707 :)

Unless you need the color correction and/or calibration for say: Professional quality photography the 2405 will still be the KING of monitors...

thats just my opinion though :)

especially when thinking how much it will come down in cost.. I cant wait!!

It's slow (12MS)

They lie (claim contrast ratio of 1000:1, actual is 612:1)

Crushes anything Apple.... but...

Samsung people. Samsung.

Link to a cost effective Samsung alternative?

If it's cheaper, or close but much better, maybe I'll cave and pick it up now :)

Looking ....

No crazy deals found - most of them are 4-700$

Just don't go 'cost effective' on an LCD. No compromise, it's all about the contrast ratio.
That Dell is pretty good, but I've seen a couple of Samsungs, and the colors are insane.

I really really want one... and will likely pay 6 or 7 hundred to get a good one.

Last edited:
Sazar: this may sound kinda stupid... but what's HDCP? is it basically High-Definition for computer monitors?

Oh yes, the mandate for more policeware and the like in one's hardware, when in reality any monitor could display the image if only they didn't want to downsample the thing :down:

/fondly remembers the days, when all that was needed to view a DVD on a computer, was well, umm, a DVD drive, and then some sort of DVD player or decoder card...

Mastershakes said:
Looking ....

No crazy deals found - most of them are 4-700$

Just don't go 'cost effective' on an LCD. No compromise, it's all about the contrast ratio.
That Dell is pretty good, but I've seen a couple of Samsungs, and the colors are insane.

I really really want one... and will likely pay 6 or 7 hundred to get a good one.
Keep in mind that DELL, at best, goes for around $825-850 after shipping. When I said comporable and cost effective, I just meant one that wasn't like $1300-1500.

Post some similarly priced Samsungs that you like :)

Mastershakes said:
It's slow (12MS)

12ms is slow?

The human eye can barely discern below 16ms, only about 20% of people out there can tell the difference. 12ms, you would have to be superman to notice a difference between that and things below it.

If its not true 12ms, you would obviously notice the difference. Dell rates across the board average. It does not give the absolute BEST rating of one monitor from the best batch like most other manufacturers.

Yes, there is a chance of deviation, but you will not notice a lot of complaints from users :)

They lie (claim contrast ratio of 1000:1, actual is 612:1)

This makes no sense. The lowest rating I have seen from any major review site is about 833:1, shown by Tom's hardware when testing the 2405.

Besides, my panel has a rating of about 500:1. I have no complaints in the least and I haven't heard Matt complain either.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/31/do_you_want_a_16_9_lcd_monitor_now/page6.html

Crushes anything Apple.... but...

Dell uses essentially the same panel as Apple, should not be crushing the cinema's in much other than features/price.

Samsung people. Samsung.

Dell uses Samsung panels, as do a large portion of other display makers :)

Plus, there is a very good reason Samsung is losing market share faster than anyone else on the market in the top 5.

They make great panels, but their display packages are not competitive.

mlakrid said:
Unless you need the color correction and/or calibration for say: Professional quality photography the 2405 will still be the KING of monitors...

thats just my opinion though :)

especially when thinking how much it will come down in cost.. I cant wait!!

The 2707 debuting near the end of the year will have a 92% color gamut.

That will be the monitor to look out for :cool:

Great info Sazar, thanks for shedding some light on the situation to ensure I am happiest with my purchase when I make it :)

reps coming...

EDIT: I have to spread it around, I made a note that I owe you some ;)

Well, essentially I know how the ratings work and how different manufacturers make claims, including Dell.

I am not saying ALL the ratings and reviews are wrong. But, I know that a lot of people I know, who are hard-core gamers, have bought the display and have few issues with response/color/brightness and the like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back