• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Need to Create Start Menu Seperators

V

Volred

Here is a picture of my start menu.

How would I be able to put a sperator in there to visually seperate different programs?

I have seen other programs do this before, but I never found out how.

I would imagine that a special command when creating a shortcut might do it. But I am grasping at straws.

Any ideas?

V

Volred

Here is a picture of windows doing it.

Anyone have any idea's on how I can create the same thing?

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
I know windows does it, but i don't think i've ever seen anything (thrid party app, or reg hack) do it. I hope it can be done, cause i would like it, but i don't think so

You could try this, it works for pinned items, and will work with

XP Pro
XP Home
XP Tablet
& XP Media

In XP, I like to disable including recent items on my start menu, and instead pinning all my most-used programs. But I have alot, and it can get confusing rather quickly, but I found a way to include seperators to organize my data on the start menu.

The first thing to do is create a new shortcut on the desktop. Select any file for the target, and under the name of the shortcut, use the trick to add a blank space for the filename (ALT+0160 on the keypad -- making sure NUMLOCK is on). Then click finish.

Next right click the file and choose properties -- change icon. You should automatically be browsing the windows\system32\shell32.dll folder. About 1/4 down the list, choose one of the blank icons (or another icon you may want to use). Then click OK. You can also remove the target. You now have a completely blank icon on the desktop.

Now just drag the blank icon to the XP start menu and you now have a seperator.
Taken from TweakXP.com .

Hope this is what you're after. :)

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
Works ok, I think instead of a blank name, putting in character (Alt-2500) which is a line, works a bit better

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies