• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Need Help Installing Second HD

X

xk_2hot4u

Well I just bought a 80gb 7200 Maxtor. I want it to be my slave drive. My Bios sees it and I think the jumper settings must be right then(But not sure), which I didnt change or add to the jumper settings. Now this is where I'm stuck. I tried the maxtor installation cd's but its not working. I want to format it to ntfs and make it like drive F. I'm an idiot with with stuff. Pls help.

A

allan

Open Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Manager and see if XP can see the drive. If so, you can format it and assign a drive letter from there.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
agreed...

I have 2 maxtor drives and the cd's they gives are p.o.s.'s... trust me...

see if winxp can recognize and format from there... make sure that you have the slave/master designated properly...

:)

X

xk_2hot4u

Allan it does recongnize it. I'm confused though exactly what I make it though. Like primary or extended, logical..etc.....Thks for the quick response fellas

B

beatlesdb

By default the Jumpers are set to Master - you need to change the jumper for Slave on the back of the HD - then when you boot up - go to the Bios and see if it has picked up the drive and do an autodetect on it.
Your HDs will get preference on the drive letters ie:
C: - master
d: - Slave or partition
E: - CD Roms or other IDE devices.

to chage it to f: you will need to do that from withing windows- got to Start - Run - type in compmgmt.msc

Cheers :)

X

xk_2hot4u

Well it ended up to be pretty easy. I installed my hard drive with no configuration to the jumpers. I'm assuming that it must have come as default a slave and not primary. Then I went to BIOS and it automatically detected it, so nothing to do there either. Now I followed Allans instructions to the Disk management and just did primary drive and left everything default. That was it. lol

A

allan

Sorry man - went to sleep before we finished but it looks like you got what you needed. Glad everything worked out.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage