Need Help Installing Second HD

X

xk_2hot4u

Well I just bought a 80gb 7200 Maxtor. I want it to be my slave drive. My Bios sees it and I think the jumper settings must be right then(But not sure), which I didnt change or add to the jumper settings. Now this is where I'm stuck. I tried the maxtor installation cd's but its not working. I want to format it to ntfs and make it like drive F. I'm an idiot with with stuff. Pls help.

Open Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Manager and see if XP can see the drive. If so, you can format it and assign a drive letter from there.

agreed...

I have 2 maxtor drives and the cd's they gives are p.o.s.'s... trust me...

see if winxp can recognize and format from there... make sure that you have the slave/master designated properly...

:)

Allan it does recongnize it. I'm confused though exactly what I make it though. Like primary or extended, logical..etc.....Thks for the quick response fellas

the first partition on it has to be primary, after that anything goes

:cool:

You can use the whole HD as a primary or partition it with primary, extended and logical.

By default the Jumpers are set to Master - you need to change the jumper for Slave on the back of the HD - then when you boot up - go to the Bios and see if it has picked up the drive and do an autodetect on it.
Your HDs will get preference on the drive letters ie:
C: - master
d: - Slave or partition
E: - CD Roms or other IDE devices.

to chage it to f: you will need to do that from withing windows- got to Start - Run - type in compmgmt.msc

Cheers :)

Jumper settings:

HD_jumper.gif

Well it ended up to be pretty easy. I installed my hard drive with no configuration to the jumpers. I'm assuming that it must have come as default a slave and not primary. Then I went to BIOS and it automatically detected it, so nothing to do there either. Now I followed Allans instructions to the Disk management and just did primary drive and left everything default. That was it. lol

Sorry man - went to sleep before we finished but it looks like you got what you needed. Glad everything worked out.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back