Microsoft Windows Update

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Does anyone what services is required for us to properly run Microsoft Windows Updates in Win XP please?

Thanks.

L

Lee

Does anyone know what services are required for us to properly run Microsoft Windows Updates in Win XP please?

Thanks.
is that what you mean? cryptographic services and windows installer I believe are the only ones needed off-line.

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
No luck .. :(

When I try to access the windows update site, I get the following error:-

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]

L

Lee

What i mean is, when you download lets say service pack 2 for xp and wanna install it quickly those two are needed, i hope you didn't try updating with only those two running which could not happen anyway.

Maybe you should try updating via update 4 as 5 is still a nearly finished beta.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started.

Xie

- geek -
Lee said:
Maybe you should try updating via update 4 as 5 is still a nearly finished beta.
Maybe it's just me but I got redirected from v4 to v5 weeks before SP2 came out. :) So fresh from beta or not I think we are stuck with it. :p

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political User
A little tip for you all:

In SP1 and prior, you could disable the automatic updates service and still run Windows Update via the web page. However this is *not* the case in SP2. The service is required even to run Windows Update v5 via the web page. However, you can still disable automatic updates (in My Computer-->Properties-->Automatic Updates); just make sure that the service behind the scenes is still enabled.

Melon

Xie

- geek -
melon said:
A little tip for you all:

In SP1 and prior, you could disable the automatic updates service and still run Windows Update via the web page. However this is *not* the case in SP2. The service is required even to run Windows Update v5 via the web page. However, you can still disable automatic updates (in My Computer-->Properties-->Automatic Updates); just make sure that the service behind the scenes is still enabled.

Melon
You can also simple turn them off from the 'security center' w/ SP2 :)

Howling Wolf

We did not deserve this !
I found out what prevented me from accessing the WU download page (the site itself loaded fine, SP2 already installed), thanx to PK. ;)
I tell my firewall (Sygate's Pro) to permanently block "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"... and as soon as I allow it to access the network, WU is running just fine with the download page.
If I block it again before downloading the update I chose, the download will fail ! I re-enable it and...bang.... the download starts at once.

I find it funny now, but it took me some time to understand that Sygate's Firewall (because of me ;) ) blocked the WU service...

tb40nd

OSNN One Post Wonder
dreamworks said:
Thanks .. got it up and running :)
hey dreamworks, what did you do to get it back up and running again? i'm having the same darn problem of course.

thanx in advance

rtb

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasty12