Microsoft Windows Update

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Does anyone what services is required for us to properly run Microsoft Windows Updates in Win XP please?

Thanks.

Does anyone know what services are required for us to properly run Microsoft Windows Updates in Win XP please?

Thanks.
is that what you mean? cryptographic services and windows installer I believe are the only ones needed off-line.

No luck .. :(

When I try to access the windows update site, I get the following error:-

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]

What i mean is, when you download lets say service pack 2 for xp and wanna install it quickly those two are needed, i hope you didn't try updating with only those two running which could not happen anyway.

Maybe you should try updating via update 4 as 5 is still a nearly finished beta.

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started.

Lee said:
Maybe you should try updating via update 4 as 5 is still a nearly finished beta.
Maybe it's just me but I got redirected from v4 to v5 weeks before SP2 came out. :) So fresh from beta or not I think we are stuck with it. :p

A little tip for you all:

In SP1 and prior, you could disable the automatic updates service and still run Windows Update via the web page. However this is *not* the case in SP2. The service is required even to run Windows Update v5 via the web page. However, you can still disable automatic updates (in My Computer-->Properties-->Automatic Updates); just make sure that the service behind the scenes is still enabled.

Melon

melon said:
A little tip for you all:

In SP1 and prior, you could disable the automatic updates service and still run Windows Update via the web page. However this is *not* the case in SP2. The service is required even to run Windows Update v5 via the web page. However, you can still disable automatic updates (in My Computer-->Properties-->Automatic Updates); just make sure that the service behind the scenes is still enabled.

Melon
You can also simple turn them off from the 'security center' w/ SP2 :)

I found out what prevented me from accessing the WU download page (the site itself loaded fine, SP2 already installed), thanx to PK. ;)
I tell my firewall (Sygate's Pro) to permanently block "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"... and as soon as I allow it to access the network, WU is running just fine with the download page.
If I block it again before downloading the update I chose, the download will fail ! I re-enable it and...bang.... the download starts at once.

I find it funny now, but it took me some time to understand that Sygate's Firewall (because of me ;) ) blocked the WU service...

dreamworks said:
Thanks .. got it up and running :)
hey dreamworks, what did you do to get it back up and running again? i'm having the same darn problem of course.

thanx in advance

rtb

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back