Mac OS X 10.3.8 update

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Apple on Wednesday released Mac OS X 10.3.8. According to the release notes, the update "delivers improved compatibility and reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 'Panther' and is recommended for all users." Apple has also posted Mac OS X Server 10.3.8. As of this posting, neither update is available via the Mac OS X Software Update utility and can only be downloaded from Apple's site.

Key enhancements include:

o Improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
o Enhanced file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks
o Improved compatibility for third party applications and devices
o Previous standalone security updates
http://www.macminute.com/2005/02/09/10.3.8/
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1038.html

Not sure where they got this from but saw this posted on Spymac ...

Key updates include:
- network volumes are now available in the Finder sidebar and Desktop for convenient access
- improved file sharing and directory services for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS), PC (SMB/CIFS), PPTP, and wireless networks
- improved support for NTFS formatted volumes
- improved reliability of user logins, mounting of home directories in a networked environment, and launch of network applications
- improved PostScript and USB printing
- improved font management
- improved disc burning and recording functionality
- improved Bluetooth compatibility for Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse and Bluetooth phones.
- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync
- improved Open GL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- updated Address Book, Calculator, Disk Utility, DVD Player, Image Capture, Mail, Preview, Safari, Stickies, and QuickTime applications - improved compatibility for third party applications
- additional support for FireWire and USB devices
- FileVault, FireWire 800 and WebDAV improvements from Update 10.3.1
- previous standalone security updates and Bluetooth Update 1.5.1

And yet another changelog... :p

These are some of the enhancements delivered with the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Update:

* Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.
* Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.
* Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.
* Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
* Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.
* Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.
* Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.
* Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when Seti@home software is running.
* Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.
* Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300569

Hrm, time to update my Mac again, i just installed 10.3.7 a few days ago :p

update - 10.3.8 should now be available in software update (well its there in mine anyways... why?... because i'm cooooooool*)

(*this is most definately a lie)

cool, I wonder what they altered in Safari. I just wish Apple logistics didnt suck balls so I could have my iBook back and update

Heh, a nice System Update window was waiting for me on the PowerMac when I got home. All up to date now :D

Heads up for the G5 folks:

Both the Apple discussions board and Macintouch reports issues with G5 fans after updating to 10.3.8. The fans appear to spontaneously rev up quite loudly at as-yet-undetermined times - one reader reports fan revving during bootup, another during Entourage mail check, even one reported revving fans while scrolling in Safari.

So there seems to be some association of fan revving with application usage across the board, perhaps. Has anyone who updated seen this?
http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000820031141/

I get fans revving at bootup, but I'm 90% sure that I got that before the latest update. So far, I haven't noticed any other odd occurences of this issue, but I've only had the update installed since last night. :)

I don't yet have a Mac to confirm this but #macosx on freenode has this in topic ... "Apparently 10.3.8's OpenGL can make finder crash. Not that Finder doesn't crash anyways.... :p".

lol, I am still holding off on the last security update cause it changes apache and I am not sure if thats going to affect the entropy.ch install of php5 that I have. In theory it shouldnt, but you can never really be sure if you arent doing a source rebuild

Just an update on the fan noise issue with 10.3.8. I have noticed the problem today, my fans started going crazy while all I was doing was browsing with Safari.

I've seen it suggested that going into System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Options and setting Processor Performance to 'Highest' instead of 'Automatic' will take care of it. I've just done that about 10 minutes ago, so I haven't had enough time to really see if that works. I'm just wondering if changing that setting is OK for the computer. I don't know much about what the setting does. Any opinions?

I always thought that the Processor Performance was available only on iBooks and PowerBooks? o_0

When set to auto, it will usually reduce CPU power when it's not needed or when running lower on battery, this conserves power and extends battery life. You can manually set it to high/low though to have the most cpu power, or most battery life,

Well, it's a preference on the G5. I don't suppose it would be included if it could be harmful to the processor to make those changes.

I've read the fan rev up thing for the G5's is part of the latest update lowering the cpu temp temp for threshold. I don't have a G5 (or any Mac at present) so I'm just going by what I've read.

the G5 can step down as well, preserving energy and getting the temperature down.

I installed this 1st time I booted my Mac mini w/out any issues that I can tell. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back