Mac Mini, iWork, and iLife 05.

X-Istence

Political Access
I am currently unable to load the apple frontpage, no doubt to do with the recent slashdotting and the new products.

I saw advertisements for Mac Mini, iWork and iLife 05.

Mac Mini: $499!

Now you can go purchase a nice new mac to go with that screen of yours :p. Get rid of that PC you have, get a nice Mac mini (Cube as well :p)

*wonders when Apple will learn that computers can only get so small before they either a) look retarded or b) look like something that they aren't*

i mean come on. i'm pretty sure i've seen hard drives bigger than that thing. like the old OLD ones that only held like 100MB or so. it's only an inch longer and wider than a normal disk drive, and about the same height. jus plain nuts. People with the Mac cinema displays would invite a friend over. it'd be like

display owner: "how u like my monitor?"
friend: "NIIIIIICE!!!!"..*looks behind monitor*.."What's that thing you have hanging on the wall behind it? a router"
display owner: "nope, that's my Mac"
friend: *blink*

Small mac's imho are a good thing. I personally would very much like one just to save myself a TON of desk space, and reclaim that space underneath my desk.

Plus, it just looks stylish. It is like a fashion statement.

At that price, there is no excuse for people not to switch.

Oh man I can't wait to do my taxes now. (will most likely use refund for mac mini) :)

Man, that is a nice piece of hardware. :drools:

ElementalDragon said:
*wonders when Apple will learn that computers can only get so small before they either a) look retarded or b) look like something that they aren't*

i mean come on. i'm pretty sure i've seen hard drives bigger than that thing. like the old OLD ones that only held like 100MB or so. it's only an inch longer and wider than a normal disk drive, and about the same height. jus plain nuts. People with the Mac cinema displays would invite a friend over. it'd be like

display owner: "how u like my monitor?"
friend: "NIIIIIICE!!!!"..*looks behind monitor*.."What's that thing you have hanging on the wall behind it? a router"
display owner: "nope, that's my Mac"
friend: *blink*
It's funny you should mention that as a gripe.
The size is probably going to be one of the biggest selling points of this machine (apart from the price, of course). It's also the only design that's impressed me as much as the iMac G4 (the old "iLamp"; I didn't find the iMac G5 or any of the other designs to be all that special, to be honest).
Now it's not something I would buy, due to the severe lack of upgradability options (then again, I'd never buy an x86 machine that couldn't be upgraded a couple of years down the line either), but overall, it's a really nice machine (especially for someone who already owns a keyboard, mouse and display) for a competitive price. It's going to *kill* the resale value of all those older Macs on Ebay etc though. :D

ED that is hardly something to complain about. I can't believe you'd actually complain about a smaller size.

That thing does look quite nice however. Just the simplicity of it makes it look ace.

Would you rather have a huge, heavy, ugly looking beige computer, or something like the Mac Mini?

X, i wouldn't buy it... its only a G4 and although it would handle everything im doing right now i want my next mac (whenever that will be) to either be a 15" powerbook or a G5.

ED, the size is going to be an amazing selling point. It would make even my tiny deskspace more usable. :eek:

Damn those small computers, make them bigger! bigger I say.

Hahaha.

TheKore: Right. That is what we all say :p.

I am looking around my room seeing what i can sell to get one of these babies. **** my huge tower, for the space ill save i could buy 10 Mac mini's and still have more space left.

Anyways, i don't think the point of the Mac Mini is to be upgraded at all, it is to be used as is for a few years, and then when Apple comes out with a new one, you get a new one. I never upgrade my machines anyways, every so often i buy a new one, so it is not like it will make a difference to me. Which is what Apple is going for.

Looks like a ripoff to be honest.
Initial price... very enticing.

But, ooh the matching keyboard lets have it wireless, wireless keyboard and mouse - may as well go for the airport addon so now wires. I wanna burn DVDs as that looks like a good addon, hmm all this dvd burning will kill my buffer better add some ram.
Whats the price now?

Could afford a normal mac with that and you might even get a monitor with it.

You can add a £10 mouse+key/b combo to it... that's the whole point. It's up to the user how much they want to spend.

must resist the urge for the dark side..... so cheap and can fit in shoe...

I forsee that in the future all computers will be the size of skyscrapers and only the five richest kings in europe will own them

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back