Mac Mini, iWork, and iLife 05.

Krux said:
Well if you mean for playing games then I don’t see your point because Mac’s don’t really have a huge library of games to play anyways. As for the 1st time user nowa days it would have to be some one of a terribly young age like 4-6yrs old and if that’s the case why would you want to get them started on hardware that is only used by 2% of the populace? Would put them at a disadvantage when it comes to school and what not.
Macs may not have a huge library, but the library of games your going to be able to play on that $400 E-machine is also small as it will likely have cheap integrated video. Also for young users I don't see why not start them w/ a Mac. Children learn quicker and are able to absorb more then adults so they probably wouldn't have a problem learning both. Also I don't know about schools around you but most all computer labs I've been in used Macs or at least had Macs to use. :)

SPeedY_B said:
3. I'm not sure on this one, I don't know how easy the thing opens up, but the dimm slot is right on the side and very easily accessible, so i would of thought it placed there for upgradability.
So do you think it would void your warrenty to upgrade the RAM yourself, or would you be able to take it to a Apple store and have them upgrade it? I think other then RAM I can live with the mini no problem at all. I just would hate to get it and void my warrenty. :)

It does actually say that you would need to take it to an apple store to upgrade your ram at a later date on the Mac Mini web-site.. so I would assume it would be a warranty voider to open the little bugger up.

Can't see why though, the ram is right there on the side.. *points*
designinsides20050111.jpg

SPeedY_B said:
It does actually say that you would need to take it to an apple store to upgrade your ram at a later date on the Mac Mini web-site.. so I would assume it would be a warranty voider to open the little bugger up.

Can't see why though, the ram is right there on the side.. *points*
designinsides20050111.jpg
It's more of a liability thing than anything else. It's to stop people from putting in the wrong ram or components, and either frying everything with some static or using incompatable products and then blaming it/suing Apple.

They let people open up their iBooks to put in ram, same with the iMac too, but yeah, I can see as this is a lot more compressed, easier to poke something and break it all :D

Found some pictures of the little monkey for you all.

click for big

Apple's new Mac Mini

Some pictures of it are here.

Edit:please delete or merge this into the other thread.

:drool:

I am seriously gonna have to see what i can sell to get one of those buggers.

unless there is some sort of seal on the mini mac i don't think they can actually tell if you opened it or not. i upgraded my ram on my powerbook, and no one cared. i took my powerbook in a few times after that, they can't tell. so if you really wanted to upgrade your ram without voiding your warranty, i can guarantee it's fully possible. it's probably also the same for the hard drive. if you guys remember the g4 cube that apple discontinued a while ago, my friend and i upgraded his cube's ram and hard disk drive without any issues, and you wouldn't be able to tell it was opened.

also regarding the game issue. if you're paying 400 dollars for a computer you certainly don't have that kind of money to spend on games. if you buy 1 game that's about 50 dollars. you only need to buy 5 games to make up the entire price of the computer. lame if you call yourself a gamer and have a mini mac.

ok and the size issue. i kind of agree with some of you in that it's way too small. one of apple's marketing pitches is that you can take the mini mac around, so it's portable. but who carries a desktop around in the first place? i mean i do to lan parties and stuff, but who would carry a mac around. people don't randomly have keyboards/monitors/mice set up and different stations of their houses ready for a mini mac. if they did they certainly wouldn't own a mini mac, they'd own a much better computer.

i would like to have seen a slightly bigger computer with more upgrade options, and if you think about it, electronic punk was right. add in all the other stuff and you have the price of an imac g5 minus maybe 200-300 dollars, except the mini mac has a g4 processor. that's still kind of lame. no computer is flawless, and i still give the mini mac a lot of credit, i just think that apple could have done just a tad better.

Wow, I'm really impressed. From the inital graphics on Apple's website you don't really grasp how small it is but it's hardly bigger than a cd case. Bravo, Apple.

logisticprism said:
i upgraded my ram on my powerbook, and no one cared.

You're meant to upgrade PowerBook and iBook memory, it tells you how to do so in the instruction manual... that binded paper things that came in the box :p

Still can't see why people have beef with the size, at the end of the day, it's going to appeal to many people by being so small, and if it doesn't appeal, how the hell can you have a problem with something being small rather than honkingly huge?

I just don't get some people :D

Geffy said:
I forsee that in the future all computers will be the size of skyscrapers and only the five richest kings in europe will own them

:goodpost: <-- @ a admin can we *cough* borrow *cough* that from somewhere else??

SPeedY_B said:
You're meant to upgrade PowerBook and iBook memory, it tells you how to do so in the instruction manual... that binded paper things that came in the box :p

Still can't see why people have beef with the size, at the end of the day, it's going to appeal to many people by being so small, and if it doesn't appeal, how the hell can you have a problem with something being small rather than honkingly huge?

I just don't get some people :D

Wonder if it's big enough to fit my coffee cup on it?

Thanks SPeedY for your help. I think I'm going to get one for sure (as soon as I have the $ *crosses fingers for good tax return and money tree to start blooming*). I'm not sure about the RAM thing is all. Any idea what the Apple store might charge for such a silly and quick thing if I supplied the RAM? If it's insane I guess I just do it myself as other then being compact it's same as any other computer (if not easier because it's right on the side).

Xie said:
Thanks SPeedY for your help. I think I'm going to get one for sure (as soon as I have the $ *crosses fingers for good tax return and money tree to start blooming*). I'm not sure about the RAM thing is all. Any idea what the Apple store might charge for such a silly and quick thing if I supplied the RAM? If it's insane I guess I just do it myself as other then being compact it's same as any other computer (if not easier because it's right on the side).

Supply your own ram, hrm, i don't know.

The guys at the apple stores here in the US are EXTREMELY friendly, helpfull, and always willing to lend a hand.

Heck, i walked in there with an iBook where i forgot to properly connect the antenna to the airport card (Thought it was fully inserted, but it was not because of it being suchs a tight fit and having to put a ****load of pressure on the poor thing), and the guy took a look, nope did not connect to the T-Mobile open wireless connection, quickly pops open the keyboard, takes a look and says:

"Ah, antennna is not properly connected"

Quickly connects it, reboots the laptop, and says:

"Yep, works now."

And off i go.

i don't know if any1 answered this but can u change the video graphics card on that thing? it looks like a really nice pc. maybe something i would get for college or as an extra pc :)

The graphics card isn't interchangable, officially anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back