Mac audio recorder wanted

johnpaul

OSNN Newbie
I'm looking for a freeware or shareware audio recorder that records from the sound card, not the internal mic. I want to be able to record music that's playing on the computer - either from an Mp3 file or an Internet radio station - and the only software I've been able to find uses the microphone to record. Can anyone help?

JP

Thanks for the Audacity suggestion, but it records through the microphone, in case you're not familiar with it.

I found the answer to my question - Audio Hijack. It's shareware ($16) and seems a little clumsy, but it does what I want.

JP

Audacity can record the output of the sound card as well.
Just change the source from 'Microphone' to 'Stereo Mix' :)

Edit: The name is actually soundcard-specific. It's called 'Stereo Mix' on my system, but it could also be called 'Wave Out Mix' or something of the sort.

Last edited:
Also, you can capture it before it reaches the sound card, by writing your own code.

http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/ComplexPlayThru/ComplexPlayThru.html

Is the complexPlayThru sample code, which is interesting, as it pipes what comes in from your Mic straight into the output. The same thing or principle can be used to pipe the outgoing into a file if you wish.

The Mac OS X API for this all is documented extremely well, and is easy to use.

I'm not sure if the interface is similar on the Mac version, but here's what it looks like on my XP machine:

audacity5pj.png

Ah, you see the drop-down box with "Default Input Source" on the far right of the screenshot? That's probably it. Check what other choices are available there. :)

Are you given more choices under "sound" in System Preferences?

AudioHiJack is great. I use it to *gasp*record bbc radio programs from realplayer*gasp* :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back