Looking for NAS recommendations...

Stormweaver

OSNN Junior Addict
I'd like to buy a network attached storage drive for my home and spend no more than $350. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict

Stormweaver

OSNN Junior Addict
The WD drive costs around $800.

I was looking at Buffalo LinkStation Live drives. 500 GB or 750 GB.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I've been happy with my "Bring your own disk" style Synology NAS

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
The WD drive costs around $800.

I was looking at Buffalo LinkStation Live drives. 500 GB or 750 GB.

Costco Canada has the 1TB version of the WD drive for $379. I believe the drives are in face upgradeable.

I've been happy with my "Bring your own disk" style Synology NAS

And what hardware do you use? I was thinking the same thing, BYOD :p

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
I have a Linksys NSLU2. It works OK but the customerservice/productsupport of Linksys isn't that great. Hasn't been an official firmware upgrade from them in years (07/06/2005) ...

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
The NSLU stuff it pretty good if you start getting into all the third-party firmwares and so on.

Techno Child

web{designer}
I second the MyBook World Ed. They are pretty sweet, I have a 500gb one which cost me less than 200USD. The only thing with the WD's you have to make sure you get a fanless one, a quick Google search says there are two types and the one with the fan is loud as hell :)

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
The NSLU stuff it pretty good if you start getting into all the third-party firmwares and so on.

I would like to try this third-party firmware but I have little experience with linux... don't want to mess up my NSLU2

greentea

OSNN Addict
How do you like Buffalo / LS-500GL / LinkStation Pro / 500GB / Gigabit Network Attached Storage, you can find it in the tigerdirect .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioPR