Linksys Router not working with comcast?!

Yeah like egghead said. Make sure your MAC is registered with comcast.

what do you mean registered and cloned, please explain? thanks

You dont need do any registering with MAC addresses. This thread is getting way to complicated.

This is all you need to do

Then do this on your net card - wireless

note that your numbers will vary :p

Last edited:
i would give you rep, but the osnn says i need to spread the **** around to other less fortunates. :)

just glad I could help out a fellow comcast user :smoker:

hey zeke, its fixed all i did was hold the reset for 30 secs and presto all is fixed, wonder what screwed it up?!

That used to happen to me when I used a dell truemobile 2300 rounter. I had to reset it everynow and then. I think this is true for all routers and modems. They just need a reset every now and then :)

BEFSR41
had the same router for a while and with all the buggy firmware updates and problems I just bit the bullet and bought a new router from a different company. Think I found a lot of other people having problems with this same router on dslreports and other various websites. I just google searched it and found tons of people with the same problems you are having with that same exact model of router. It might depend also on what revision the router is because mine is an older one and your's may be newer. If it is the fix may be different from what I found.

Linksys is a weird company...I've been around some really good linksys routers and some really bad ones. I also think Linksys routers (at least this model number) just like to go bad at random points. I hope you find out what's wrong with it because mine was just gone.

To add I don't know if this is a linksys funded website but I don't think so, I think it's a linksys info website by consumers that offer help.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/

As far as MAC cloning, when you initially setup Comcast, they register the MAC address of your network card, it is then tied into your account, if you change network cards or add a router, as in this case, you need to either call comcast and have them register the new MAC address or clone the MAC address of the registered network card [what you would want to do here]. Running ipconfig /all will display the MAC address of your network card, then go into the router's setup page and use that address for the MAC cloning.

@zeke_mno, you do not need to disable the DHCP server on the router to run a static IP, you can use both.

j79zlr said:
@zeke_mno, you do not need to disable the DHCP server on the router to run a static IP, you can use both.

Its just one more thing to keep ppl off my wireless :p

I agree with that, but it isn't necessary, besides I though the OP was using a BEFSR41 which is a wired router.

i have to say i don't know what the hell you're on about, comcast does not need you to register anything with them at least in florida, where did you hear this. because it just is patently not true, but thanks for the help anyway.

j79zlr said:
As far as MAC cloning, when you initially setup Comcast, they register the MAC address of your network card, it is then tied into your account, if you change network cards or add a router, as in this case, you need to either call comcast and have them register the new MAC address or clone the MAC address of the registered network card [what you would want to do here]. Running ipconfig /all will display the MAC address of your network card, then go into the router's setup page and use that address for the MAC cloning.

j79zlr said:

nicely done!

rep on the way :)

lancer said:
i have to say i don't know what the hell you're on about, comcast does not need you to register anything with them at least in florida, where did you hear this. because it just is patently not true, but thanks for the help anyway.

Hi!

Some ISP's authenticate their users through the the mac address from your network card in your computer. My ISP will not let me hook any computer other than the one I registered with. registering is simple. log into a website and update MAC address. I am allowed to have 2 ip addresses using two MAC addresses. My router has the option to clone or spoof any MAC address. usually setting my router to defaults will bring up the settings wizard and at that time it will clone my computers MAC address and everything works fine.

Glad you got it all sorted out with a simple reset.

My Lynksys is great and I love the wireless.

Egghead

You don't actually register your MAC address with Comcast as a step, I believe it is done when you install their software the first time. I had set a router up at my cousins, it would not work until I had the router use MAC cloning of the NIC in the PC that has the Scamcast software installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back