• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

lights on the floppy and hard disks

Q

qianamonee

I came home from work last night and the lights for my floppy and hard disks were steadily lit. My monitor was also on, but the screen was black and the cursor just blinks forever. When I restarted my computer, the only things it will do is check for memory (as usual), but then it does it all over again. the lights stay on and cursor is just blinking on a black screen. any suggestions? is if possible that it's the HD? But i just installed it last fall.

Q

qianamonee

nope, no error messages, it just acts like it's gonna go all the way to start up but it doesn't. the lights on the floppy and hard drive won't go off. and yes, I have bios set to boot from the xp cd, and nothing happens when I try that

Sounds more like a dead mobo or BIOS. If the light on the floppy has started to glow all the time without anyone messing around with the cables, then it's not the HDD. Could be due to a power surge or pretty much anything. I'd go for the mobo primarily and memory secondary.

J

jumpy

The thing that might be causing this is if you have your ide cables connected back the front, this is not possible with newer cables but just check to make sure.

A

allan

I don't mean to sound simplistic, but have you tried pulling the power cord from the wall and then plugging it back in after a few seconds to allow everything to reset?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies