lights on the floppy and hard disks

Q

qianamonee

I came home from work last night and the lights for my floppy and hard disks were steadily lit. My monitor was also on, but the screen was black and the cursor just blinks forever. When I restarted my computer, the only things it will do is check for memory (as usual), but then it does it all over again. the lights stay on and cursor is just blinking on a black screen. any suggestions? is if possible that it's the HD? But i just installed it last fall.

did you get any error messages? try inserting a boot CD and see if you can acess the recovery/any programs.

nope, no error messages, it just acts like it's gonna go all the way to start up but it doesn't. the lights on the floppy and hard drive won't go off. and yes, I have bios set to boot from the xp cd, and nothing happens when I try that

Sounds more like a dead mobo or BIOS. If the light on the floppy has started to glow all the time without anyone messing around with the cables, then it's not the HDD. Could be due to a power surge or pretty much anything. I'd go for the mobo primarily and memory secondary.

The thing that might be causing this is if you have your ide cables connected back the front, this is not possible with newer cables but just check to make sure.

did u recently mess around inside your case? ur floppy cable may be on upside down

I don't mean to sound simplistic, but have you tried pulling the power cord from the wall and then plugging it back in after a few seconds to allow everything to reset?

or just reset your BIOS if its not dead. Usually a little jumper you have to put on somewhere

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back