Leopard + GNU Screen.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I've always used the Mac OS X terminal for various tasks and with it have always found 'screen' to be very handy. I've never had a problem using screen with any previous iteration of OS X, however under Leopard it seems that launching screen completely ignores my ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc files, which contain a few custom commands and additional PATH variables.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and any way to rectify it?

I have noticed this as well. Have not yet found a solution.

You guys need to give me some good uses for Terminal. I've probably used it less than 10 times in the 3 years or so I've been on a Mac.

You guys need to give me some good uses for Terminal. I've probably used it less than 10 times in the 3 years or so I've been on a Mac.

irssi :p

Oh, and off course SSH to other machines. Programming in vim. Ehm, I don't know what you are looking for in terms of what to use terminal for.

Heh. IRSSI FTW! :D

If you need uses for terminal, you likely don't really need to use it at all, though I'd definitely recommend MacPorts as a good place to start diving into Terminal based apps.

irb :D

I've also noticed that when starting ssh-agent on a FreeBSD machine it tends to not load in my bash startup files either. Given that Leopard seems to automatically support SSH keys now it could be something to do with that.

I was having similar difficulties when I found your post. I found the following helpful tidbit in the man page, regarding use of the shell customization.

Set the command to be used to create a new shell. This overrides the value of the environment variable $SHELL. If the command begins with a '-' character, the shell will be started as a login-shell.

For example, I have the following line in my ~/.screenrc

Code:
shell -/bin/bash

Hope it helps!

-Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back