Leopard + GNU Screen.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I've always used the Mac OS X terminal for various tasks and with it have always found 'screen' to be very handy. I've never had a problem using screen with any previous iteration of OS X, however under Leopard it seems that launching screen completely ignores my ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc files, which contain a few custom commands and additional PATH variables.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and any way to rectify it?

X-Istence

Political Access
I have noticed this as well. Have not yet found a solution.

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
You guys need to give me some good uses for Terminal. I've probably used it less than 10 times in the 3 years or so I've been on a Mac.

X-Istence

Political Access
You guys need to give me some good uses for Terminal. I've probably used it less than 10 times in the 3 years or so I've been on a Mac.

irssi :p

Oh, and off course SSH to other machines. Programming in vim. Ehm, I don't know what you are looking for in terms of what to use terminal for.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Heh. IRSSI FTW! :D

If you need uses for terminal, you likely don't really need to use it at all, though I'd definitely recommend MacPorts as a good place to start diving into Terminal based apps.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
irb :D

I've also noticed that when starting ssh-agent on a FreeBSD machine it tends to not load in my bash startup files either. Given that Leopard seems to automatically support SSH keys now it could be something to do with that.

Steven Levis

OSNN One Post Wonder
I was having similar difficulties when I found your post. I found the following helpful tidbit in the man page, regarding use of the shell customization.

Set the command to be used to create a new shell. This overrides the value of the environment variable $SHELL. If the command begins with a '-' character, the shell will be started as a login-shell.

For example, I have the following line in my ~/.screenrc

Code:
shell -/bin/bash

Hope it helps!

-Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee