Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820 and Inspiron discussion

How does the battery life of t620 compares to the 610?

It's better but not by much.

However you can get a longer life battery which has much better performance.

Btw, I just played around with the 20" XPS behemoth :smoker:

It weighs a ton but it's not overly unweildy.

And the detachable keyboard and touch-sensitive buttons are unbelievable.

Plus, the woofer on this baby ROCKS :cool:

Impractical? Definitely not for presentations and a mobile entertainment system.

Yeah I saw that the same day I was the 620.
Looks bloody horrible really ;p

Well, I thought the same till I started using the bugger.

It's pretty well built :D

Love the screen and speakers. Totally ace :smoker:

Well, it's almost here.

Release information present. Am going to a shindig on Thursday for more hands-on experience. Looks pretty good, am really digging the magnesium casing. The new dock is also ridiculously light-weight and thin, not going to add as much bulk as the older ones for the 410 and the x-1.

Also, is thinner/lighter than the 410 by far :)

how much is the base d420 going to approximately cost? and when the d420 is released are the prices of the x300 and x1 going to go down much? I would like to get an ultraportable, but money would be an issue. Thanks.

I don't know.

I might be able to say on Thursday.

Nice Saz.

Jut recieved the 620 with both 3.5g and the nvidia card, doing a windowsxp install now, can only hope it will do Glass in Vista.

Also means I will inherit a 610 with an X300 so will get glass myself (woo!)

Lemme know if the 3g whatsit issues you had are kinda fixed :D

Gonna be hands on with the 9g Poweredge server's today. New intel cores are looking ridiculously good, dual-buses? All day baby.

Thursday, I'll try and update. The 420 doesn't have a discrete card so it's not going to be doing Glass.

Well it was missing before, almost certainly in there now after - Vodafone even bundled a 256meg dongle (woo?), build is just doing some post install now and i will see what missing (nvidia drivers for example)

Can you get me specs on the new database servers? Last suitable are 2850 for us, knowing whats next would be nice.

What card does the 420 have? Something by Intel?

I was checking out the Poweredge 2900 with dual proc/dual-core Xeon's in there. Is a bloody nice system :D everything is so easy to remove and add and EVERYTHING has cooling. Should see the cooling where the Ram sits.

The rig I was looking at had dual 930 W redundant psu's and had a pretty hefty SAS going, forgot the capacity of the drives.

Was running dual Dempsey core's, there should be some Woodcrests coming soon I would think, don't remember what date the bloke said. Lots of expansion slots, upto 48GB mem, single/dual ranked, has a nifty little read-out in the front for error messages, can be customized for your own type of error messages as well. BTX form-factor and lots and lots of fans on the inside. Chassis is pretty solidly built, I like it better than the 2xxx series cases. Serial port on the top/front of chassis, along with the USB's and the hot-swappable HDD's in the front of the chassis pop out pretty easily :)

Wrt the 420, I think the Intel GMA 950 is the IGP.

How many HDD slots has it got/

I forget how many internally.

I believe I saw about 6 hot-swappable bays on the front. I could be wrong, I spent most of my time playing around on the inside with the mobo and the psu's. :D

Ok, cos the 2850 had 5 which is utterly useless for databases.

Well, I got some more info, posted on the Dell site since this morning (or yesterday, whatever).

http://www.dell.com/content/product...0?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~section=specs#tabtop

Hard Drives2:
  • 3.5" SAS (10K rpm) 73GB, 146GB or 300GB hot-plug hard drives
  • 3.5" SAS (15K rpm) 36GB, 73GB or 146GB hard drives
  • 3.5" SATA (7.2K rpm) 80GB, 160GB or 250GB3
Internal storage
  • 10 x 3.5" hot-plug SAS drives (10K and 15K) or 10 x 7.2K SATA drives
Standard internal hard drive bays support up to eight 3.5" SAS or SATA hot plug hard drives

Flexbay support for up to two 3.5" hot-plug drives or full height tape device

Peripheral bay support for two half-height devices (tape drive plus one optional CD-ROM, optional DVDROM or Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM); optional 3.5" floppy drive bay.

So yah, plenty of storage for you :)

Upto 3 TB per the spec sheet.

Core solo == June 20th, core duo likely sometime in July or August.

Waiting for Intel to provide the lower power procs for the dual-core.

The notebook is tiny, feels smaller than the X-1 even though it is actually a little larger. Very light and very strong, no flexing when I picked it up.

Screen is good quality too, has a little pointer and a touchpad so you can use both. The dock is ultra-thin and ultra-light, makes it easy to carry round. Battery doesn't block ports in the front, instead it protrudes a little in the front.

IGP only.

Ok, thats not a rack solution tho sadly (as was told on wed), 2950 should be tho?

Per the naming convention, it should be multi-core/gen 9, rack IIRC.

The notebook is tiny, feels smaller than the X-1 even though it is actually a little larger. Very light and very strong, no flexing when I picked it up.

Screen is good quality too, has a little pointer and a touchpad so you can use both. The dock is ultra-thin and ultra-light, makes it easy to carry round. Battery doesn't block ports in the front, instead it protrudes a little in the front.

IGP only.

I am joining this conversation in the middle... which notebook is this?

Latitude D-420.

9 cell battery == 7+ hrs of battery time (depending on use of-course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back