Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820 and Inspiron discussion

Posting from my new D820. VERY IMPRESSED. I'm going to boot up the only game I play, america's army. Ill let you know how you plays in comparison to my desktop as shown in sig. :)

To Sazar,

Thank you for replying i understand one is a consumer graphics card and the other professional but all i need to know is that NVDIA NVS graphics card is superior or inferior compared to the ATI Radeon X1300 or X1400. I means if one was to buy the NVS or the ATI (i assume) which is more expensive because I want to make the best decision before purchasing D820 or D620. Also to Generic its good you have bought a D820 but is it with the discrete graphics option or Intel integrated?

I just did a dxdiag and the 120m comes up as a 7400Go chip. Im sure anything they did to make it a "quadro" card can be undone with some tweaking or hackery. I just played americas army 2.6.0 at 1680x1050, normal detail, but with 4xAA enabled and HIGH image quality on, it did 40-60FPS steadily.

In other words, its a fairly capable card. Keep in mind I have a 2.0Ghz Core Duo with 2.0GB of DDR2-667mhz RAM.

You can definitely use the cards for gaming if you want to. Functionality is not limited because you have a pro card.

You just might not be getting the same kind of frame-rate that you would otherwise score on an optimized product.

I have a rattle. A screw or something is rolling around inside the case and when I tilt the notebook I can hear it rolling back and forth.

I am not about to send it back for this, how far can I open it without voiding the warranty?

Talk to tech support before you do anything.

Ok thanks.

Im having issues getting the UPEK fingerprint reader to work. The ESC software that comes from Wave won't run. I did the setting changes to the CMOS and TPM is enabled / activated. However when I start the Embassy Security Center to get the ball rolling, the splash screen comes up then I get an error saying that the "Application could not launch. Try again." Well I could try again about 300 more times and it won't help the situation. Where is that software located on Dell's recovery disks? Must need a reinstall..

edit: this is really lame.

. After the installation of Internet Explorer 7.0 beta the user will receive an initialization error when attempting to access the Embassy Security Center management tool (also referred to as ESC). The error reports "Failed to Initialize" and ESC will fail to load and exits. Additional errors may include "The application could not launch. Please try again." This problem may also exist for the final release of Internet Explorer 7 but has not been tested at this time. Reverting the user's version of Internet Explorer back to version 6.0 resolves this issue. Please refer to Microsoft's Internet Explorer documentation for assistance on this process. Embassy Trust Suite versions effected: Embassy Trust Suite for Dell version 2.0; Embassy Trust Suite version 5.0

Last edited:

It is a beta after-all.

Thank you for replying Generic. That sorts that problem out ill be purchasing the Latitude soon because I have heard that Intel will be releasing the Meron Duo Core processor sometime in July and this will make big differences with performance regarding multi-tasking and such. The M65 is a very powerful model i must say but ill make comparisons as soon as I have a Latitude D820. All I want is decent 3d graphics as well as 2d because i don't want a screen that is going to fuzz up like my Inspiron 6000 with the integrated option. It really hurts the eyes. Sazar, will Dell release any new model notebooks for this year or is this the final batch? It would better for Dell to produce an XPS 15.4" as they have a 17", 20.1" and a 12.1" notebooks.

odd question...

i need to decide between the 620 and 420. As a 410 owner i would much prefer the size and weight of the 420, but...

What seems to be my determining factor will be ability to run dual external monitors (specifically 2x1905FP) through the port replicator. Sazar's recent post suggested that the D420 won't be available with a discrete graphics card for some time. Can I run the dual external monitors through the port replicator with the integrated graphics in the chipset?

Thanks,
Bill

It really depends on the output ports provided.

I have no information on the graphics port layout on the 420 so it's all speculation unless someone else knows better.

Sazar - any idea what the little card-slot underneath the battery is? It's about the side of an SD-card and has a little engraving of a squarish card with the top left corner cut off. Sorry that is a very confusing description :)

I thought these D820s were not equipped with any card-readers?? if it is, its a terrible location... LOL

An express card slot?

Sazar said:
An express card slot?
the EC slot is on the size and its rather large. I have no idea what an EC slot is used for but its not that.....

sim card slot by sound of it?

Too big to be a SIM card. My sim in my phone is pretty tiny, not much bigger than my transflash card, which is about the size of my pinky's fingernail.

GEN3RIC said:
the EC slot is on the size and its rather large. I have no idea what an EC slot is used for but its not that.....
ExpressCard is the faster successor to PCMCIA/CardBus. Most add-on peripheral cards in the market are still PC Cards, but many system vendors are future-proofing their machines by including ExpressCard slots instead.

Maybe its the evdo card slot or whatever for cingular/verizon.

Sazar said:
Maybe its the evdo card slot or whatever for cingular/verizon.
Better figure it out Sazar
kdubb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back