Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820 and Inspiron discussion

Forgive the ignorance, discrete means third party (i.e. Nvidia)?

Discrete means non-integrated.

detached, disconnected.....

Discrete = better! :)

I am still a week away from ordering a laptop with a budget of $2275 after taxes/shipping. Ive looked at everything from Sony's (For 1 minute), to Toshiba Satellites, Lenovo...but I keep coming back to the D820. Must be fate lol...

The IBM/Lenovo's and toshiba's are pretty good system.

Naturally I am partial to the Dell's but thats coz I have spent a lot more time with the new ones than I have with the competition.

Definitely a step up from the previous generation IMO.

Im confident with Dell's quality now, I was not impressed with the D810 that my classmates are getting.... I have yet to physically hold a D820 and that bothers me because I am really concerned about build quality. This Acer Travelmate I looked at had a carbon fiber chassis and that sounds very structurally sound! I just don't want to end up with another Inspiron 8500 ... yes, it's officially old and worn out, but a month after getting it, the screen's hinges were messed up and there was a lot of play. The keyboard keys stick, the eraserhead has to be disabled or it'll walk the cursor all over at its own will.

Its those issues I hope they addressed, not to mention the heat issue.... :ugh: If you tell me it is light years ahead of the i8500 in terms of build quality, I will commit to the D820 right now! You have the experience with it, moreso than almost anybody else right now I think. Whats your call?

The old D 8xx series had a tri-metal chassis with plastic components. Helped keep the weight down.

The new 820 is a magnesium alloy, looks good and it is very sturdy from all demo's and drop tests I have seen.

It's not perfect, I have yet to see the perfect notebook, but it's very good all aorund.

It is indeed light-years ahead of the inspiron series :D

Definitely see if you can swing in a demo or a quick touch/feel session someplace.

Where can I find a demo of a Dell though? I have yet to ever see an authorized reseller or Dell PC's, and I don't know anybody with a D820 yet. :(

Im fairly confident in the D820's sturdiness, but I really do think it would be a good idea to give em a test...

Dell aren't in the shops :)

Can't speak for the 8xx series, but the 620 is alot better looking than the 600 or 610

Dell has kiosks in the USA. Occasionally they have a latitude on display, typically it is inspirons. However if you see the xps 1710, it has the same material for the chassis.

Okies, update.

The 420 will NOT have a discrete card, at least not initially.

Keep in mind the info I provided before was neither final nor 100% approved but this is the latest info I have.

The xps 1210 though WILL have the discrete card.

:(

I was so looking forward to the 420 too :(

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone came right with the 3.5G setup on the Dell (just for the D620). Vodacom SA is 3.5 ready and working. I put my sim card in to the the laptop and installed the dell wirelles card reader application but does not give any options or software to setup to sim card. You have the same problem

Thanks
Bryan

I was told the 3.5G would not be ready on the 620 until the end of this month.

You cna remove the keyboard and see if the addon board is there or not, or enter your tag and check machine configuration.

Although we stipulated we wanted the card on our demonstrators they didn't come.

The instructions say that we can fit the cards ourselves, but for some reason Dell want them back?

Might get the next set with NVIDIA cards.

Saz: the 420 doesn't have 3G? Not that I care as I don't use it tbh!

I have the following drivers installed how do i find out if i have the hardware with out opening the computer? Dell Wireless 5500 Mobile Broadband (3G HSDPA) Mini-Card. Do you think there is an extra charge for these cards because it says that it comes with it yeah?

Electronic Punk said:
I was told the 3.5G would not be ready on the 620 until the end of this month.

You cna remove the keyboard and see if the addon board is there or not, or enter your tag and check machine configuration.

Although we stipulated we wanted the card on our demonstrators they didn't come.

The instructions say that we can fit the cards ourselves, but for some reason Dell want them back?

Might get the next set with NVIDIA cards.

Saz: the 420 doesn't have 3G? Not that I care as I don't use it tbh!

Dunno bout the 3G cards tbh. It's not something I care about so I haven't asked about it. Only comment on what I see in passing :)

howcoza said:
I have the following drivers installed how do i find out if i have the hardware with out opening the computer? Dell Wireless 5500 Mobile Broadband (3G HSDPA) Mini-Card. Do you think there is an extra charge for these cards because it says that it comes with it yeah?

Check device manager and see if its there, or even listed as a selection when creating a dial-up account.

Ours weren't at least.

Sazar-

I have my premier rep telling me that D420 is launching late summer. Is that true?

Bill

Yes. As far as I know.

The XPS 1210 debuted retail today.

To Sazar,

I am on the verge of purchasing a Dell Latitude D820 or 620 but i need to know more information regarding the graphics card. Is the NVIDIA NVS 120M and 110M superior or inferior compared to the ATI Radeon X1300 and X1400 graphics that is in the Inspiron range. Is the NVIDIA good at 3d games such as WoW or Halflife 2? I need to know more about the cards because is the performace same as the ATI cards? also one more question the M65 model i already own the Quadro is better than the ATI Radeon X1300 and X1400? or is it similar in performace. It would be very helpful to know more about the cards as it will make my decision more easy. Also is Dell going to release an XPS model laptop with 15.4" widescreen so the brand can grow and continue?

Those are professional cards, you can't compare them to consumer cards.

Perhaps the performance will be about the same, or better in OGL situations but they products are not designed for gaming so it's really hard to say. The drivers are not optimized for dx and ogl games.

I am not sure if there are plans to currently release an XPS version of the e-1505. It's possible but I haven't heard anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back