Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820 and Inspiron discussion

Where or from whom do you intend to purchase your new laptop. Are the new ones only available from DELL?
My intention would be to purchase direct from Dell.... keeping an eye open for any offers and trying to chose a good moment... But ATM I am awaiting payment for my professional services and owed for work from July and August :(, so things are on hold.

No idea if fastest way, or only way, to get new models is direct - since this is a replacement situation speed is not critical to me, value and battery life are more the priorities.

Might be getting a D620 next week from work :D

Can recommend them :)

420 less so, will stick to my D610 for now tho as its quite a high spec one :)
And has no bug dead behind the screen ;D

Yeah dead bugs = no good. Good thing Dell replaced your screen :D

I have a D600 now, so the 620 upgrade will be quite nice ;)

Alright, I feel like I need to resolve this issue now...

Ive had my D820 for several months now and it's been quite a great computer. The built quality would fell top-notch if it weren't for a few things feeling loose. The screen (since I got it) has wobbled, as in, there is a considerable amount of play so it will wobble back and forth and it isn't firm.

My 2nd build-quality issue is that there is something rattling around inside the laptop that I have not been able to get to, since I bought it. I refused to send it back because I needed it for school and it would be out of commission for at least 3 weeks...

3rd gripe - loose battery, and even sometimes falls out.

I think that covers it. Anybody else share my issues? Or maybe know of DIY solutions...?

Get it replaced. It should have none of those issues.

I use a D620 and everything is perfectly fine.

How can I get it replaced quickly? I want to keep my harddrive obviously.

What are my options, oh mighty one :)

Yeah, none of the 620s or 420s I have seen are having that kind of issue, infact the screen is very rigid compared to the 610 and 600. Really nice.

Boy did I get a lemon.. :(

Guys, keep in mind I am not tech support/sales or anything like that so I definitely don't have all teh answers lol.

I do my best where/when I can :D

Generic, it often happens when a company orders a lot that sometimes when they are moving things around, something might not get treated with the respect it deserves. Roll with it and get a replacement if you can.

Thanks - I realize that but little connection is better than no connection ;)

I'll call a rep tomorrow or Friday and let you know how it goes.

I removed as many obvious screws as I could on the screen but still something made it cling together. I wasn't about to forcibly pry at it.. so I just let it go for now.

How far were you able to get at taking apart the screen, EP? I know they are different laptops so I wont bother asking for irrelevant instructions, but I'm curious how far you got before you gave up.

Further than I should have got away with.

Saz --

I heard a month or so ago that Dell was getting into the Tablet game. Have you heard anything? I need a notebook for my business and I'm thinking a Tablet is the best option for me. Thanks.

I don't know about the Tablet business.

All I know is Motion computing currently provides all Dell's needs and they make excellent products.

If Dell got into the business, they might be inclined to purchase Motion. If on the other hand, they are already developing, I am not privy to that information unfortunately buddy.

Motion manufactures Tablets, so why isn't Dell offering any? Get privy!

Dell does offer tablets, through a partnership with Motion.

They just don't make them right now, as far as I know.

Are they working on them behind the scenes? Perhaps, I just have no clue about it :)

You're supposed to know this stuff.

Further than I should have got away with.
So I posed my questions of build quality on the Dell support forums and I was presented with a full service manual.

I pulled out the keyboard, and then was able to wedge in some folded-up tape strips into the hinge support and then tightened it down well. That fixed the display's wobbliness. Then when the keyboard was off I realized I had awesome access to the internals to see what what rolling around inside...it sounded like a screw that came loose. However it was a little extra piece of solder. I couldn't find anywhere it could have fallen off and I dont think it created a loose wire.

So, I have successfully avoided warranty-work and I dont believe I voided any warranties! w00t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back