Joomla! Need advice + tips :)

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi guys,

I've just jumped into the world of the ubuntu server and I'm running Joomla! for the first time. I've got the hang of it just about but there is a ton of stuff still to learn! I need to know two things:

1) Other than by tweaking existing code manually, what's the best way to modify or create new Joomla! templates?

2) Where can I download some good free templates?

Thanks for your help, reps for helpful posts as usual :)

2) good or free pick one :) If you choose good click the link in my sig. :)

Ah I've been there before, I had a crack with the RokWebify one which seems ok. I'll try the others out too.

What's the deal with hosting this stuff? Do webhosts offer linux servers with Joomla! installed? At the moment I'm using my own server as a gateway but eventually I'll run out of bandwidth (hopefully as it gets busier) so I'll have to migrate elsewhere.

Thanks for info, reps sent out.

Host's can do. Or they can use script installers. I don't. I prefer my users to learn to use their applications or have their accounts terminated :)

So how much would it cost to have a Joomla installation hosted on one of your linux servers?

my brother uses godaddy and they install joomla for you. the weird thing is they don't install it in the root directory and I'm trying get things moved over from there. Can't figure out to do a redirect or someone suggested a move of the whole directory which I'm guessing would screw up the database, but I have no idea, I'm so new at this stuff I don't know what I'm doing.

At the moment I'm hosting for free. I may charge in the future. You will then be left to install whatever you want. I will support server related issues. Software you will have to take up with the vendor.

If you're fine with that click the link in my sig :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back