iso image of Win2003

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

What would be the best way of creating an iso image of my current Winserver2003standard partition?

My intent is to load this image onto my debian Server virtualbox or vmware.

(I think that vmware loads iso images, not too sure. I got my five free licenses and I downloaded the app. Don't know how to use vmware.)

Thanks,

Heeter

I just tried acronis free trial, but it doesn't backup as an iso image, but another file extension 9 (*.tib)

I need an .iso image

Heeter

Heeter, are you trying to perform a P2V migration? (P2V = Physical to Virtual) or are you trying to install a fresh build in VMWare?

If you are doing a P2V, I would suggest using vmware and using the VMware Converter to bring the existing machine over.

If you want to use an imaging product, it's similiar to imaging from one machine to another physical machine. An ISO won't do squat for you. Yes, VMWare can mount an ISO as a CD, but what does that buy you? It won't boot/run the machine off an ISO image.. unless you somehow manage to create the ISO like a live image (similiar to the old Knoppix CD's).

P2V

That is exactly what I would like to do. I have an existing physical harddrive loaded Windows Server2003 setup that is running. I would like to move that into and run it off of a VMWare setup on a debian server.

Haha, Thanks a million,

Will go check this out

Heeter

Hi Fitz,

Got a quick question,

I got the firewalls shut off on both machines, but i can't quite understand how to get the physical to the virtual.

Do I startup VMServer on the Linux Box, then direct the converter on the Windows to point to it? Or do I "get " the image using the vmserver itself.

Looks like vmwareconverter doesn't actually create a file, but might directly connect to vmserver, if i understand correctly.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back