Intel developing next-generation Power Mac

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
The following was posted by AppleInsider:
In a move that may surprise some Apple watchers, reliable sources tell AppleInsider the Mac maker has contracted the design duties for its next-generation Power Mac motherboard over to industry heavyweight Intel Corp.

Specifically, sources said Intel's facilities in Oregon picked up the project in late-October after Apple sought the chip maker's help in meeting deadlines associated with its accelerated transition from PowerPC processors to Intel chips.

Around the same time, Intel quietly formed an "Apple Group" comprised of both engineers and sales staff, several of which are rumored to have been assigned to the Power Mac project.

With Apple moving aggressively to introduce four Intel-based Mac models in the first four months of 2006 -- iMacs, 15-inch PowerBooks, 13-inch widescreen iBooks and Mac minis -- resources at the company's Cupertino, Calif.- based engineering labs have worn thin, sources said.

By enlisting the help of Intel to design (and possibly manufacture) the Power Mac motherboard, Apple hopes to remain on track to begin shipping the first Intel Power Mac models during the third quarter of 2006, sources added.

It's likely, but not confirmed, that the new Power Macs will adopt Intel's next-generation desktop processor, code-named Conroe, also expected to ship around the same time. Unlike Intel's Pentium 4 processors and derivatives, Conroe will not use the company's NetBurst architecture and instead will be based on a completely new architecture, sources say.

Apple's decision to work with Intel Oregon on the Power Mac design may also have its costs benefits. Mark Margevicius, an analyst for Gartner Research, said any effort by Apple to pass-off its motherboard designs to Intel would help reduce the costs to manufacturer Macs and result in lower prices for the consumer.

Full Story

I imagine that will bring costs down. I hope it does.

cost = the only reason I have never owned a MAC...

mlakrid said:

Totally understandable.

I'm hoping that one of the results of the Intel switch will be more affordable machines that will give more people a real choice of what kind of computer to purchase.

mlakrid said:

I believe this is the 1500000000000000000000000th time someone has had to tell you this:

MAC = Mandatory Access Control
Mac = Apple created Personal Computer

X-Istence said:
I believe this is the 1500000000000000000000000th time someone has had to tell you this:

Bleh. Just like all the people that still type X-box, X-Box, xBox. Damn annoying, but get over it :p

X-Istence said:

Not me... :laugh:

EDIT: bolded for emphasis...

EDIT2: also, MAC is Media Access Control not Mandatory Access Control... unless specifically speaking of discretionary access control systems not a PCs parts/pieces...

Last edited:
Re: EDIT2, MAC == Mandatory Access Control: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mac.html, as well as Media Access Control, but in that case it is still only a number, and thus not a PC part or piece, but rather software again.

So both our terms are true.

And I thought it was you, there must be multiple people then that make the same freaking mistake.

Grandmaster: I won't get over it. There is a big difference, they are two totally different things in Technology. Whereas X-Box is not any different from X-box.

I will be devils advocate here...

MAC= abreviation
Mac = proper name
XBOX = proper name...
Omar = proper name
Michael = proper name
x-box.. NOT proper when reffering to an XBOX
same as MAC is not proper = Mac

or O-mar when reffering to Omar etc.... I think you get the idea....

I think thats what GM is reffering too... correct me if I am wrong Omar

:)

mlakrid said:
I will be devils advocate here...

MAC= abreviation
Mac = proper name
XBOX = proper name...
Omar = proper name
Michael = proper name
x-box.. NOT proper when reffering to an XBOX
same as MAC is not proper = Mac

or O-mar when reffering to Omar etc.... I think you get the idea....

I think thats what GM is reffering too... correct me if I am wrong Omar

:)

You nailed it ;) Although it should be "Xbox" :p

Get back on topic everyone.

I agree that MAC and Mac are different. Mac is a shortening of mackintosh, and MAC is a TLA (Three Letter Acronym) for Mandatory/Media Access Control

However if you mouse over either and Ctrl+Apple+D you get the Oxford dictionary definition of 'a mackintosh.'

It makes sense getting Intel to develop the motherboard, hopefully means they can pack some cooler stuff onto it :p

If the cost goes down I think I'll just have to buy a Mac.

back on topic;

X-Istence said:
I am all for lower costs :D

I don't think the price of the chip to the company is going to lower price to the consumer

MAC, mac, MACs use a marketing concept of exclusion, whether true or not, they market their product as more refined and a price is to be paid for that refinement...price is part of that...maybe they'll go for a bigger market share and become competitive, but I doubt it

Last edited:
Grandmaster said:
You nailed it ;) Although it should be "Xbox" :p

Get back on topic everyone.

Well I apologize for STILL using it incorrectly... but why the heck do they use the ALL CAPS version on the boxs and advertisements?

Sheesh...

:laugh:

mlakrid said:
Well I apologize for STILL using it incorrectly... but why the heck do they use the ALL CAPS version on the boxs and advertisements?

Sheesh...

:laugh:
All caps like this you mean? </sarcasim>

Attachments

• apple-mini-mac-box-lg.jpg
    apple-mini-mac-box-lg.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 81
This gentelmen may be settled in a round of CS:S.

Or with mustard bottles at 10 paces.

For f**ks sake!

XBOX, xBox, Xbox, it doesn't matter... the reason that Xbox can be written in multiple ways is because there isn't another device out there with the same name, where-as Mac is an abbreviation of Macintosh, and MAC is something completely different all together, which is why it needs to be written correctly so that people know what you are referring to.

Now, get back on topic, or have your posts deleted, and your pets stolen.

And almost always, anyone with the IQ of a hippopotamus can tell whether a person is referring to MAC or a Macintosh simply based on the context in which the word appears.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back