installing xp with a upgr. cd without installing an earlier version

upgrading to XP

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but, you don't need to insert a prior version CD as proof in order to install the XP upgrade. Even though it says that you need to. I know this for a fact because I did it.

Now I was perfectly legal. I had been running Win 98 on my system before my hardware upgrade of my system so I had the Win 98 CD. But less than a year ago I installed a new bigger hard drive and other hardware. Everything was wiped clean so I could do a clean install of XP. The XP upgrade CD "told" me I had to have the prior OS CD but I never inserted it into my computer and it proceeded with the XP upgrade perfectly fine. So you do not need it.

rjack - Well, no - it's just that you didn't need it. Not sure why, but once in a while these things happen. Still, you can be sure that if it worked for everyone the forums and bb's would be flooded with such reports.

No, 99.9% of the time the Upgrade process works as planned by MS.

upgrading to XP

No, you do not need to have a previous version installed. And you do not even need to insert a previous version's cd to "prove" you have it.

Oh yes, it will tell you that you need that CD, but in reality you do not. It will install the upgrade without it. I know this because I have done it.

And before anyone asks, yes I did have Windows 98 on CD so I was legal. I just didn't need to use it for the upgrade.

ARE YOU SURE< because i want to do a clean install of HOME XP upgrade but i only have a recover disk with WinME on it.

so, if i was to do a FORMAT and FULL install of the UPGRADE home xp, will it work?

actually, he makes sense, i remeber when i installed the upgrade it gave me the option of a FULL install!!!!!!

so maybe it will work,, but can anybody confirm this?

The option for a full install is just to overwrite the previous OS files and settings. If you do an upgrade it will keep your settings.

One more time. Yes you can do a full, clean install of XP using an upgrade disk. But you will be asked to insert the original install disk from a prior OS at some point. The fact that one poster here didn't have to does not mean that you won't have to.

Originally posted by allan
One more time. Yes you can do a full, clean install of XP using an upgrade disk. But you will be asked to insert the original install disk from a prior OS at some point. The fact that one poster here didn't have to does not mean that you won't have to.

This is exactly true, however I have also done a full install with windowsXP upgrade and not been asked for the prior version, I can only put this down to the fact that I had already had the new version installed earlier before I re-formatted. This said if you go out and buy the upgrade and put it on your system for the first time it will ask for a prior version there is no doubt about that.

like i said i dont konw about with fdisk but i do know that when i poped the upgrade cd in booted and installed it worked likek a charm and i even deleted the partion.:D didnt ask for no other disks(but maybe it knew i had a previouse vr. already)

I also have used the upgrade disk (xp) to do a full install on many computers. If it asked for proof I used the restore disks as proof. Done on compaq, hp and ibm without a hitch.

I think i know what the problem here is. I believe if u install from windows, you need a qualifying product cd, but if u boot of the cd you dont.

Originally posted by The_Schwarz
I think i know what the problem here is. I believe if u install from windows, you need a qualifying product cd, but if u boot of the cd you dont.
No. We are talking about installing from a boot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back