installing xp with a upgr. cd without installing an earlier version

G

gustav64

Hi guys!

As you can see, i'm a newbie.

You can allmost see my question in the subject. Is it possible to install xp with the upgrade version, without installing for instance ME first.

Have to say; this is one of the best forums I've ever seen.:D

welcome! no you can only install the upgrade over a previous version of windows as the full version has all the files it needs where and upgrade uses files from the previous operating system as well as updating or adding new files:)

Not true. You absolutely can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. The upgrade version contains everything that is on the non-upgrade ("full") version.

Just go ahead and boot to the cd and do the install. At some point you'll be asked to insert the original disk from a prior OS just to prove you have it. That's it.

Gustav64: as far as I know you don't actually have to have the other os installed you just need the installation cd to prove you have the other version and are not just try to get XP on the cheap. The upgrade cd searches for other versions of Windows and if It cannot find one it asks for the cd. I'm not certain about this, but I did an upgrade and I'm pretty sure this is what is said on the instructions.

Yes..it is that way. I have an upgrade version of WinXp HE as I have a full version of Win98.

Just boot up with WinXp CD..and when it asks for proof of a full version of an earier OS you put in that CD (Win98, WinME or Win2000), it checks..clears it..and then you put back the WinXp CD.

If you have an earlier version of Windows it is no point in buying a new full version. Expensive!! And you will get the same stuff anyway...

Allan - I don't have the "XP cd"(or any other prior Windows cd neither) thanks to HP and their hidden partition - however I will still be able to use an upgrade version on my next Windows blah blah blah since I have XP currently installed - Yes?

If The OS is on the HDD (and setup is started from within Windows, not run from DOS or a bootable CD) no you do not need a CD.

Also note it must be a retail CD, OEM "Recovery" CDs are not always accepted as valid previous versions.

JJB

once it's already on your computer it should work fine. I wouldn't format though cause if you don't have the cd you'll be screwed.

Damn it, everytime I have an answer (and it's not often) someone gets there just before me :mad:

Thanks JJB6486 and Eve - understand what you are saying!;)

I posted this earlier on another thread, but I have done a clean install with an XP upgrade,(didnt fdisk) stuck the cd in restarted, wiped the partition repartioned using ntfs and installed didnt ask me for any other cd, I still to this day don't understand why. usually when you use an upgrade cd it asks you for another disk half way through, but not xp home( unless its just his disk) let me know if you get the same results!!:D

thanx a lot guys! :D

I guess I came to the right place with my question.

Yes, this is certainly where I would send people with that question. :cool:

maybe

Originally posted by vdubVR6
I posted this earlier on another thread, but I have done a clean install with an XP upgrade,(didnt fdisk) stuck the cd in restarted, wiped the partition repartioned using ntfs and installed didnt ask me for any other cd, I still to this day don't understand why. usually when you use an upgrade cd it asks you for another disk half way through, but not xp home( unless its just his disk) let me know if you get the same results!!:D

Ok was it maybe this... you popped it in and you did a clean install after a format but<<>> before you got to the format screen after xp has loaded all its files and is ready to go . it see's that you allready had a windows installed daaaa daaaaa lol

:D

Try it this way use a boot disk and format , or remove all partions

then try it you will get hey show me the cd from previous versions
but if you boot off the cd and have a previous version installed it see's that

imho

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back