Installing Windows on a Macbook

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all,

A friend at work wants me to upgrade his macbook to windows...... (joke).
Seriously as having not used a mac for years is it fairly straight forward, had a look on apple's site and apparently you just run the bootcamp wizard?

Any hints and tips will be much appreciated :)

Put the vista DVD in the drive and boot from it - vista supports booting from the mac bios :)

Sorry to be clear, he wants to dual boot. Also he will probibly want XP.

hmmm im going to have to try this out.. see how it works and the driver base for the cam and wifi. this would be an intreting project.

Depending on what your friend wanted to do in Windows he could also just put it in a VM and play in Windows without having to reboot.

yeah, from what I been researching. A lot of people are using bootcamp and find it to be pretty handy. Of course with Apple possibly starting to make it's own chip; that might change.

yeah, from what I been researching. A lot of people are using bootcamp and find it to be pretty handy. Of course with Apple possibly starting to make it's own chip; that might change.
I think the chip is more for portable devices (ie. iPod, iPhone, tablet?, ect.) not Apple's everyday computer lineup.

I think the chip is more for portable devices (ie. iPod, iPhone, tablet?, ect.) not Apple's everyday computer lineup.

I hope you are right on that ..

If he wants to dual boot then you can just set it up with Bootcamp. I recently did that with Windows 7 RC. I used the same guide in tdinc's post and it was pretty simple.

I hope you are right on that ..

Ehm, Apple is not going to switch desktop chips again, and if they do it will be x86 compatible. It is just not sensible to switch to something new again.

That being said, how does this apply to the current situation? Bootcamp will still work on this guys MacBook and will continue to work on his MacBook, even if Apple were to switch chips tomorrow. If you want to start a thread on the speculation on what computer chip Apple is going to be building, please feel free to do so, but in the mean time this guy wants to install Windows alongside Mac OS X.

Ehm, Apple is not going to switch desktop chips again, and if they do it will be x86 compatible. It is just not sensible to switch to something new again.

That being said, how does this apply to the current situation? Bootcamp will still work on this guys MacBook and will continue to work on his MacBook, even if Apple were to switch chips tomorrow. If you want to start a thread on the speculation on what computer chip Apple is going to be building, please feel free to do so, but in the mean time this guy wants to install Windows alongside Mac OS X.

Is there a reason why you have to take everything out of context? Man, dude, lighten up ..

i used vmware for booting xp on my leopard setup, boot camp is prob better...windows 7 can also boot from a usb drive!

Yeah, Vmware is a pretty popular choice as well ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back