Installing Windows on a Macbook

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all,

A friend at work wants me to upgrade his macbook to windows...... (joke).
Seriously as having not used a mac for years is it fairly straight forward, had a look on apple's site and apparently you just run the bootcamp wizard?

Any hints and tips will be much appreciated :)

LordOfLA

Godlike!
Put the vista DVD in the drive and boot from it - vista supports booting from the mac bios :)

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Sorry to be clear, he wants to dual boot. Also he will probibly want XP.

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
hmmm im going to have to try this out.. see how it works and the driver base for the cam and wifi. this would be an intreting project.

Xie

- geek -
Depending on what your friend wanted to do in Windows he could also just put it in a VM and play in Windows without having to reboot.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
yeah, from what I been researching. A lot of people are using bootcamp and find it to be pretty handy. Of course with Apple possibly starting to make it's own chip; that might change.

Xie

- geek -
yeah, from what I been researching. A lot of people are using bootcamp and find it to be pretty handy. Of course with Apple possibly starting to make it's own chip; that might change.
I think the chip is more for portable devices (ie. iPod, iPhone, tablet?, ect.) not Apple's everyday computer lineup.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I think the chip is more for portable devices (ie. iPod, iPhone, tablet?, ect.) not Apple's everyday computer lineup.

I hope you are right on that ..

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
If he wants to dual boot then you can just set it up with Bootcamp. I recently did that with Windows 7 RC. I used the same guide in tdinc's post and it was pretty simple.

X-Istence

Political Access

I hope you are right on that ..

Ehm, Apple is not going to switch desktop chips again, and if they do it will be x86 compatible. It is just not sensible to switch to something new again.

That being said, how does this apply to the current situation? Bootcamp will still work on this guys MacBook and will continue to work on his MacBook, even if Apple were to switch chips tomorrow. If you want to start a thread on the speculation on what computer chip Apple is going to be building, please feel free to do so, but in the mean time this guy wants to install Windows alongside Mac OS X.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
Ehm, Apple is not going to switch desktop chips again, and if they do it will be x86 compatible. It is just not sensible to switch to something new again.

That being said, how does this apply to the current situation? Bootcamp will still work on this guys MacBook and will continue to work on his MacBook, even if Apple were to switch chips tomorrow. If you want to start a thread on the speculation on what computer chip Apple is going to be building, please feel free to do so, but in the mean time this guy wants to install Windows alongside Mac OS X.

Is there a reason why you have to take everything out of context? Man, dude, lighten up ..

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
i used vmware for booting xp on my leopard setup, boot camp is prob better...windows 7 can also boot from a usb drive!

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
Yeah, Vmware is a pretty popular choice as well ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moussa021