If ever there was a reason to buy a Mac...

Macs for creative things, PCs for spreadsheets. Right? :p

Pixelmator will supposedly cost less than $100... I think somewhere around $60, actually. I'm looking forward to its release and I hope there's a demo version.

Photoshop killer, been watching this app for a couple months now and can't wait for it to be released.

i don't think it will wound photoshop, let alone kill it. really another gimp, lightzone or pixel, but with a flashy (and admittedly nice) composited ui.

don't get me wrong, an avid compiz user here, but transparency and animations don't increase productivity. the pro's will stick with photoshop, but this will appeal to end users.

I don't know. some of the stuff I saw in that video ability wise blow photoshop clean away :)

Photoshops smart select isn't that smart :)

Whats so special? It looks just like photoshop. Not to mention Windows has a nifty free program called "paint.net" it has most of those features, for free.

http://www.getpaint.net/

Photoshops smart select isn't that smart

it's an advertisement video, i'd take a not-so-wild guess the images were hand picked and known to work well with those transformations, if not "prepared" earlier ;)

professionals don't use "magic wand" tools for photographs anyhow :)

Whats so special? It looks just like photoshop. Not to mention Windows has a nifty free program called "paint.net" it has most of those features, for free.

http://www.getpaint.net/

I already have a Mac, and paint.net is not going to send me back to Windows any time soon ;)

@vertigo: We'll get some better reviews coming out soon now that the App is being beta tested though there might be NDA issues with that but give it a couple months and we might have something quite exciting on our hands. Also while I reckon it won't hit Photoshop too much in the high-end market where people have money to burn at the lower ends it might do very well. Especially with groups like students where if they are trying to be legal a Photoshop licence costs them £300 rather than £30 for PixelMator. If someone isnt a student then its £500 rather than £30. Either way you go thats a lot of beer money ;)

Also PixelMator is cheaper than LightZone and is more Mac-like than Pixel

waiting patiently for gimp's UI overhaul (and it looks rather nice so far). compiz should take care of the rest :D

LightZone is free for linux, btw. looks nice and has all the functionality, but written in java.

--edit--

major improvement, i think

http://www.venturecake.com/gimps-major-ui-revamp/

Last edited:
The "I am a pompous ass" voice makes me want to kill the next mac I see. Thanks.

waiting patiently for gimp's UI overhaul (and it looks rather nice so far). compiz should take care of the rest :D

LightZone is free for linux, btw. looks nice and has all the functionality, but written in java.

--edit--

major improvement, i think

http://www.venturecake.com/gimps-major-ui-revamp/

That does look pretty good, X11 is really the only problem I have with it but there is a OS X Native GTK+ project underway which would make it a much more enticing options.

If LightZone is Java then they could make it slightly more Mac like by putting the File,Edit,View toolbar in the right place. I know its possible cause I have managed to do it, but Java won't do it automatically. In my mind Java's UI to be "cross platform" it should adhere to "way things are done" on the platforms, but I can understand why that would be a minefield for development and Java Swing is painful enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back