[iBook] I'll miss you for 1.5 weeks

X-Istence

Political Access
In a follow up to: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=75266

I went to the Apple store today, and the guy took it, and is sending it out to Apple to get it fixed. It was still under warranty, eventhough i did not think it had been, so that leaves me with some money to spare.

Problem report:

Sympton: Noisey fan blower and heat issues
Steps to reproduce: Run computer for over 30 mins to an hour with multiple applications. Fan will start up and it sometimes makes a grinding sound. System gets rather hot as well.

It would have cost me $280 (Apple Care costs $240, go figure), to get it fixed if I did not have warranty. So i am happy it is still covered.

DId i mention that the ETA is aprox 1 - 1.5 weeks? That's a long time for a geek to be without his toy.

If it had been a PC you would have taken it apart and fixed it by now. :p

*runs*

NetRyder said:
Ouch. Hope she gets well and comes back soon. :D

I might not be getting her back. Guy at the Apple Store said i would most probably get a new one back. I miss BiteSize already, just so handy to have a small laptop around when you have a pool outside, and programming is so much more relaxing when you are next to a pool :p

gonaads said:
If it had been a PC you would have taken it apart and fixed it by now. :p

*runs*

Run all you want, but i am not going to fix a laptop myself. Even if it were a Windows based PC.

(PC stands for Personal Computer, ****wit :p. my iBook is just as much a PC as any other PC).

I wouldn't try and fix any kind of laptop either.

Kind of nice to be getting a new one though, right?

Maybe even a free surprise upgrade? :)
I've heard of instances where Dell replaces defective parts with newer ones. One of my friends sent in an 8600 because of a defect in the display and it came back with a higher resolution panel at no extra charge. He was without a laptop for a few days, but man...the new screen is sweet! :eek:

have you got a backup of all your stuff so you arent left up a creek if they give you a new one

Geffy said:
have you got a backup of all your stuff so you arent left up a creek if they give you a new one

Yes. Forgot to backup my "Library", so the guy at the Apple store gave me a CD to burn it to.

NetRyder said:
Noooooo! :eek: :p
I agree though. Laptops rock. :D

I put extra ram in the laptop, and the guy at the apple store told me not to worry, so if i get a new laptop back, i am getting Apple ram with it, instead of the Infineon ram i put in it. (Which i bought from a friend for $20 :p)

muzikool said:
I wouldn't try and fix any kind of laptop either.

Kind of nice to be getting a new one though, right?

If i do get a new one, yes.

NetRyder said:
Maybe even a free surprise upgrade? :)
I've heard of instances where Dell replaces defective parts with newer ones. One of my friends sent in an 8600 because of a defect in the display and it came back with a higher resolution panel at no extra charge. He was without a laptop for a few days, but man...the new screen is sweet! :eek:

Considering the laptop is a year old, and there have been newever versions out there, i bet i am getting some new components.

Unofficialy he told me the following components were probably screwed:

Fan
Motherboard
Logic Board

It was running WAY to hot he said (As in, when you picked it up at times, it would feel as if your hand was being burned by a semi hot stove. He also said he was surprised that it kept running for so long under the temperatures, since ive had the problem for the last 2 weeks now, and Apple's should shutoff after they get a certain temperature.).

X-Istence said:
Unofficialy he told me the following components were probably screwed:

Fan
Motherboard
Logic Board

It was running WAY to hot he said (As in, when you picked it up at times, it would feel as if your hand was being burned by a semi hot stove. He also said he was surprised that it kept running for so long under the temperatures, since ive had the problem for the last 2 weeks now, and Apple's should shutoff after they get a certain temperature.).
I would have guessed the Logic board, thats what went wrong with mine when the fan went mental and it wouldnt boot.

Wasn't there a widespread logic board replacement program for iBooks at some point?

NetRyder said:
Wasn't there a widespread logic board replacement program for iBooks at some point?
I could be wrong but I think it was older ones then the one X has.

NetRyder said:

Yup, mine was included, but not until now, it has worked perfectly, or so i thought. Went to the Apple store again today with a friends laptop which runs even hotter than mine (Singes the hairs off your legs, almost), and Mike, the person who helped me last time, was there again and said it was not good either. So that one is sent off as well.

This makes me love the Dell warranty system more and more everyday :D

All my Dell components have Complete Care. Anything happens to them during the life of the product, I get a free replacement, cept for fire/theft, just like I did for my DJ.

I don't have to mail them anything till I receive my replacement.

If it is just a mechanical problem, I have on-site service so a Tech will come over and replace the parts for me, no extra charge :cool:

Sazar said:
This makes me love the Dell warranty system more and more everyday :D

All my Dell components have Complete Care. Anything happens to them during the life of the product, I get a free replacement, cept for fire/theft, just like I did for my DJ.

I don't have to mail them anything till I receive my replacement.

If it is just a mechanical problem, I have on-site service so a Tech will come over and replace the parts for me, no extra charge :cool:

Only reason they could not fix it onsite was because they did not have the parts. Also, i'd rather not use it if the guy says it is badly broken, so it is not like i am missing out on any action with it. Also, i was not entirely sure if still had waranty on the iBook, and did not call them up on purpose, if phone support denies it, you can't walk in and have the tech at the genius bar override the fact that the warranty is already done.

I can sympathize with your plight, I have an ibook as well and find it hard to go 2 days without it. I've got Final Cut Express on it as well so I really would miss it for that as I do quite a bit of video editing.

I got it back on Saturday.

Replaced parts:
Logic board
Hard Drive
Fan
CPU
Motherboard

Basically, they opened my laptop up, gutted it, and stuck new stuff in it. (The outside is still the same).

Have to say, i was not too happy when i had lost all my data, but at least the problem is fixed. The fan is working wonderfully. When it does turn on, it does not grind anymore, but depending on the temperature of the laptop is a nice flow of air, which sounds just a bit less strong than a can of compressed air.

I am just happy to have it back :D.

They didn't move your data onto the new drive? That sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back