• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I Need Your Help...

P

PseudoKiller

Guest
#1
In 3 weeks I am to present a speech about why people should boycott AOL. What I need from the NTFS.org community is websites, articles and information in general about AOL and its business practices. I dont want this thread to become an Anti-AOL flaming thread (I will delete those types of posts) I need good and relevent information.

I also have to create an action. By that I mean I need to come up with a way to ensure a boycott, a realistic way. Letter writing or a petition but those can not realistically be done. Ideas, comments, information ??

Thanks for all your help in advance :)
 
L

Leevoy

Guest
#7
Originally posted by PseudoKiller
In 3 weeks I am to present a speech about why people should boycott AOL. What I need from the NTFS.org community is websites, articles and information in general about AOL and its business practices. I dont want this thread to become an Anti-AOL flaming thread (I will delete those types of posts) I need good and relevent information.

I also have to create an action. By that I mean I need to come up with a way to ensure a boycott, a realistic way. Letter writing or a petition but those can not realistically be done. Ideas, comments, information ??

Thanks for all your help in advance :)
Is it a multiple choice :rolleyes:
 
B

Brandi

Guest
#8
Well I used to work there and I can tell you about how terrible the customer service is...their motto was one problem, one resolution. We had eight minutes to finish a call even if the problem was not fixed otherwise they'd have someone standing behind us...."what is taking so long?" jerks. Then we could only go through one step and if that didn't work they had to be transfered for a sales pitch and forced to hang up, call back and wait on hold for another 30 minutes.
 
L

Leevoy

Guest
#9
Thats horrid. The call centre for my a.o.l. is in the republic of Ireland (EIRE), they are polite and can't do enough to help me when I called.

They answered within 2-4 rings I have phoned only 2 times first call we spoke for an hour the second for about 25 minutes and I got the issue solved.


That sucks brandi, hope you found a better employer.
 
B

Brandi

Guest
#10
Yeah, moved on from one bad one to another one...Cox Communications....now I'm much happier where I work. No more tech support. BLAH!
 

Perris Calderon

Moderator
Staff member
Political User
#12
I think the best reason to boycott aol owuld be the fact that you pay for nothing when you buy it.

just about every body going on the internet now will be going on broadband.

these services provide the internet as part of the package.

that's good reason plenty to boycott aol
 

Renegade_Chris

A Very Confused Bunny
#13
I would say that one of the funniest reasons to boycott AOL is their over the top rude word ban meant that for AOL users the lovely town of S****horpe virtually disappeared off the internet! ... as did the RSPB and indeed Breast Cancer Research.

(As you can see ..... this poor town is still a touchy subject on this fine Interweb .... use ur imagination on the stars :p)

Professionally .... I have had a few tangles with AOL in the past. Working in the PC industry, we were getting hundreds of calls from people who had bought our equipment with a spanking new copy of XP only to find their AOL didn't work .... AOL tech support were helpfully saying that it was not their fault (which it so was), and giving out our tech support numbers stating it was an AOL helpline for people who had probs with XP!

How lovely of them :p
 
#15
Testimonials devoted to people having incredible difficulty cancelling their AOL accounts:
http://www.heferito.com/aohell-testimonials.asp

Brandi, I worked for MSN, and I know how you feel :p They used to put me in the tech support queue, but quickly put me back in the cancellations department (where you make a LOT of money convincing customers to keep their accounts) when I refused to observe call times. At least a few customers left happy before I switched departments!
 
P

PseudoKiller

Guest
#16
Does anyone know of where I can find info on their practices of monitoring and selling the members habits. How they monitor youre every move and sell the info along with catering ads towards youre web habits??
 

Renegade_Chris

A Very Confused Bunny
#17
Originally posted by PseudoKiller
Does anyone know of where I can find info on their practices of monitoring and selling the members habits. How they monitor youre every move and sell the info along with catering ads towards youre web habits??
Well, I think that the easiest way to find out if they are is to have a look at the EULA for AOL's software ..... mainly because u have to agree with it in order for them to do it.

I dont think AOL will be too forthcoming about where they sell that info to .... or indeed who they sell it to.
 
P

PseudoKiller

Guest
#18
Unfortunatly I dont have a copy of their EULA. Does anyone have it handy?? Copy and paste a copy would be nice. Thanks in advance.
 

Renegade_Chris

A Very Confused Bunny
#20
Originally posted by PseudoKiller
Unfortunatly I dont have a copy of their EULA. Does anyone have it handy?? Copy and paste a copy would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Prolly be better to actually save it as a text file and post it .... knowing these EULA's as I do, they can run to 40+ pages.

I believe they do this intentionally in order to make it soooo boring you give up on reading it so u never know what u are agreeing to :D
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,013
Latest member
Pdawgintown