I Need Your Help...

P

PseudoKiller

In 3 weeks I am to present a speech about why people should boycott AOL. What I need from the NTFS.org community is websites, articles and information in general about AOL and its business practices. I dont want this thread to become an Anti-AOL flaming thread (I will delete those types of posts) I need good and relevent information.

I also have to create an action. By that I mean I need to come up with a way to ensure a boycott, a realistic way. Letter writing or a petition but those can not realistically be done. Ideas, comments, information ??

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

ask me a question + i will tell you the awnser:cool:

not that i ever used it before broadband:confused:

kewl... so much information to go through. ahhhh this is too much like work. hehe :D

Originally posted by PseudoKiller
In 3 weeks I am to present a speech about why people should boycott AOL. What I need from the NTFS.org community is websites, articles and information in general about AOL and its business practices. I dont want this thread to become an Anti-AOL flaming thread (I will delete those types of posts) I need good and relevent information.

I also have to create an action. By that I mean I need to come up with a way to ensure a boycott, a realistic way. Letter writing or a petition but those can not realistically be done. Ideas, comments, information ??

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Is it a multiple choice :rolleyes:

Well I used to work there and I can tell you about how terrible the customer service is...their motto was one problem, one resolution. We had eight minutes to finish a call even if the problem was not fixed otherwise they'd have someone standing behind us...."what is taking so long?" jerks. Then we could only go through one step and if that didn't work they had to be transfered for a sales pitch and forced to hang up, call back and wait on hold for another 30 minutes.

Thats horrid. The call centre for my a.o.l. is in the republic of Ireland (EIRE), they are polite and can't do enough to help me when I called.

They answered within 2-4 rings I have phoned only 2 times first call we spoke for an hour the second for about 25 minutes and I got the issue solved.

That sucks brandi, hope you found a better employer.

Yeah, moved on from one bad one to another one...Cox Communications....now I'm much happier where I work. No more tech support. BLAH!

I think the best reason to boycott aol owuld be the fact that you pay for nothing when you buy it.

just about every body going on the internet now will be going on broadband.

these services provide the internet as part of the package.

that's good reason plenty to boycott aol

I would say that one of the funniest reasons to boycott AOL is their over the top rude word ban meant that for AOL users the lovely town of S****horpe virtually disappeared off the internet! ... as did the RSPB and indeed Breast Cancer Research.

(As you can see ..... this poor town is still a touchy subject on this fine Interweb .... use ur imagination on the stars :p)

Professionally .... I have had a few tangles with AOL in the past. Working in the PC industry, we were getting hundreds of calls from people who had bought our equipment with a spanking new copy of XP only to find their AOL didn't work .... AOL tech support were helpfully saying that it was not their fault (which it so was), and giving out our tech support numbers stating it was an AOL helpline for people who had probs with XP!

How lovely of them :p

interesting renegade

looking forward to your posts chris.

welcome to our board

Testimonials devoted to people having incredible difficulty cancelling their AOL accounts:
http://www.heferito.com/aohell-testimonials.asp

Brandi, I worked for MSN, and I know how you feel :p They used to put me in the tech support queue, but quickly put me back in the cancellations department (where you make a LOT of money convincing customers to keep their accounts) when I refused to observe call times. At least a few customers left happy before I switched departments!

Does anyone know of where I can find info on their practices of monitoring and selling the members habits. How they monitor youre every move and sell the info along with catering ads towards youre web habits??

Does anyone know of where I can find info on their practices of monitoring and selling the members habits. How they monitor youre every move and sell the info along with catering ads towards youre web habits??

Well, I think that the easiest way to find out if they are is to have a look at the EULA for AOL's software ..... mainly because u have to agree with it in order for them to do it.

I dont think AOL will be too forthcoming about where they sell that info to .... or indeed who they sell it to.

Unfortunatly I dont have a copy of their EULA. Does anyone have it handy?? Copy and paste a copy would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunatly I dont have a copy of their EULA. Does anyone have it handy?? Copy and paste a copy would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Prolly be better to actually save it as a text file and post it .... knowing these EULA's as I do, they can run to 40+ pages.

I believe they do this intentionally in order to make it soooo boring you give up on reading it so u never know what u are agreeing to :D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back