I have a question about Verizon DSL

• Thread starter PseudoKiller
  • Start date
I've had great customer service from them...though their policies are a bit skewed. As far as the relay...none in the vicinity, this is a neighborhood that we both grew up in, we know the layout. And as far as cable goes, at 3:00 pm, when all the kiddies get out of school, their bandwith goes to poopoo. I'm not trying to say Verizon is the best thing since peanut butter, just that it's 100 times better, and cheaper, than our local cable internet company, and others not in our general vicinity. In the approx 8 mos that I've had Verizon, service was down ONCE, for about 7 minutes. That's it. At my workplace, we have customers with cable internet who are literally down at least once a week. Not very good service for the price you pay.

edit: oh, and from the time I placed the order till the time I had it online....7 days.

well I dont have that much of a choice... I get **** from Comcast for stations and i wont pay for something that I cant get Tech TV on... bastards
I am getting tired of Comcast constantly raising rates and I get nothing new added for the past 3 years.

That's basically the way Adelphia went around here. Everyone jumping ship before their bank accounts are empty. :D I thought I'd have big problems with it...being that the area I live in is old mining country...i.e., old, old phone lines on the poles, I personally live in a house that is well over 75 yrs old, and has the wiring to prove it! :eek:

I KNOW!!! NO TECHTV KILLS ME!!!! although i get ot watch it on DirecTV at work. :D

Unless anyone can recommend a better solution to Verizon and Comcast that I can get in the NE PA area??

I get TechTV w/ my digital cable from the evil Time Warner :/

PseudoKiller said:
Unless anyone can recommend a better solution to Verizon and Comcast that I can get in the NE PA area??

Unfortunately, I cannot, but I want to make everyone aware of a thing or two. I work at a company that provides internet service, Dial up, Cable, AND DSL. So lets pretend that I may have some kind of knowledge of what the advantages and disadvantages of each service are, and where they are completely similar. Also, I would like to introduce some of the lies that are comcast...

in fact, let's do comcast first, they will NOT be able to maintain the speeds the claim once they get people signed up, they will NOT make money that way. So do what you want, sign up for comcast, they will either raise the price or cut the service, trust me, they cannot afford giving everyone 3meg service.

Now, DSL, described earlier as something like 'a form of dialup'... it's not... at all... in any way.. a_form_of dial-up. It uses the exsisting copper lines, thats about it. Anyways, DSL speeds can be influenced by how much useage the ISP as a whole is experiencing at the moment, where as Cable, you can lose quality of service just because a few people near you are using heavly, even if noone else is. But in the end, they aren't tha tmuch different. I get 1.5meg DSL for $40/month in Western PA from covad, I will NEVER use cable because I can only get it from comcast, and it's like $65/month because I don' thave some crazy kind of TV service plan.

Last point the "Cable will be king forever" or whatever it said... well... imagine how many people said that during the 56k revolution...

as for a better solution, we are in a de-regulated territory, and we are allowed to compete with both adelphia and comcast, and lots of people don't even realize we are there, so be sure to look around and make sure there are no indepenant cable companies around that could help you out.

Taggert_LOA said:
verizion dsl is the worst thing to get. you pay the same price no matter how slow the speed is. comcast, is the fastest most reliable broadband internet period. dsl speeds ALWAYS VARY on how far you live from the Switching station.not to mention it is still a from of dial up. it is not ALWAYS ON. your DSL will get disconnected for periods of inactivity. and you will have to dial in again. that is ther reason alot of ppl dumped it in the first place.

This is a very misleading post.

DSL is much more stable than cable. You are still on a shared line, but other users on the same switch do not affect your bandwith in the way that it does with cable I have the exact same speeds day and night. If you use a router to handle PPPoE you are always as long as you set it to be. Also, most DSL companies are very much more leniant that cable providers. Most cable companies will not let you use a router without an extra fee, and will not allow you to run a server , yet most DSL companies will.

PK, AFAIK there is no proprietary software that you need for verizon, XP's PPPoE client should be all you need.

Just to back up j79zlr, DSL is not affected by neighborhood usage like cable is, and the only time their software must be used is when you initially sign up...just to reg your username and PPPoE password on their system. Then just tranfer the settings to your router and get rid of the software if you like. Max out the connect time and off ya go! The only advantage of keeping it is if you like the modem-monitoring software and some of the goodies they throw in (support tools & stuff). I don't believe techies (geeks) of our caliber require that garbage, anyhow! :rolleyes: I did read in Verizons TOS about no servers running, but I'm not sure how well they enforce it, haven't tried it, yet.

I've had verizon dsl for a couple of years, have aslways had better speeds then they adverise, and I am really pleased with this company

I've needed support 2 times, and there was no wait, and the support was very affective

I like this devision of verizon

i run both a router and server on cable. I can connect to my VPN which Verizion DSL did not allow me to do at all without hell.

And the Saddest thing about verzion, is that you have to have the right wiring in your home to get dsl and then the noise through your phone line, and the cheap ass filters that don't work? and as far as someone saying it is not a form of dial up is full of ****. when you lose ths connection the modem has to dial in to recieve the signal again. and after that the signal is always on, till you lose it again.

Taggert_LOA said:
And the Saddest thing about verzion, is that you have to have the right wiring in your home to get dsl and then the noise through your phone line, and the cheap ass filters that don't work? and as far as someone saying it is not a form of dial up is full of ****. when you lose ths connection the modem has to dial in to recieve the signal again. and after that the signal is always on, till you lose it again.
Same thing could be said about your cable if you had bad wiring and why would you use a cheap line filter if you know its cheap?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back