• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

html question for bloggers

Perris Calderon

Moderator
Staff member
Political User
#1
hey

is there a way to manually enter links so that the page opens in it's own window?

I can't find a setting to do it automaticaly and clicking a link navigates off my page so I'll add it manually to when I add a link
 
Last edited:

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
#10
I was reading some where that for the majority of people, when you get a link to open in a new window they don't even realize a new window has opened, and this only confuses them further.

I wish I rememebered the link.

Basically, you'll annoy the more experienced visitors, and confuse the beginners. Stick to keeping links opening in the same window.

A good rule to follow: let the user have control.
 

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
#11
I think it's more of a designer perspective. Webmasters for the most part think if the page opens in the same window, and it's an external link, they won't come back to their site. I have always done it so that if it's an internal link, same window, external link, new window.

That's my P.O.V. :)
 

X-Istence

*
Political User
#12
Geffy said:
I hate anything which opens links in a new window, if I want a new window then I will open one.

Just my 2p

Agreed

Grandmaster said:
I was reading some where that for the majority of people, when you get a link to open in a new window they don't even realize a new window has opened, and this only confuses them further.

I wish I rememebered the link.

Basically, you'll annoy the more experienced visitors, and confuse the beginners. Stick to keeping links opening in the same window.

A good rule to follow: let the user have control.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

Don't break the back button!

wwwdjrcs said:
I think it's more of a designer perspective. Webmasters for the most part think if the page opens in the same window, and it's an external link, they won't come back to their site. I have always done it so that if it's an internal link, same window, external link, new window.

That's my P.O.V. :)

Ehm, a new Window opens, suddenly the back button does not work anymore. You just lost all your site views. They don't know how to get back to your site, so they go elsewhere. I have seen the browsing patters of quite a few people in a business where I was a contractor doing back-end work, and they got annoyed at new windows opening. Studies were done for the site, and people got most annoyed at new links opening a new window without them telling it to, some clicked out both browser windows immediately, others would continue browsing the newly opened page, and then use google to go do other things leaving ones website sitting in the background because clicking back did not do what they expected it to do, take them back a page.

Sorry, but the link I posted above explains it better than the endless case studies that have been completed, users hate it when something does not work like they want it to. I actually always close all sites that try to open links in a new window. If I want a new window, I will middle click it to open it in a new tab, or open it in a new window. Never do it for me.
 
#14
For the most part (sites I really need aside) anything that causes a new window to open is usally instantly closed along with the side that triggered it. :/
 
#16
X-Istence said:
Ah UseIt, why am I not surprised. Nielsen really annoys me really. Some of his points are valid and make sense, others are just stupid and poorly backed up.


SPeedY_B said:
Hasn't 'target' been depreciated in XHTML anyway? (i.e. the real way to make a page).
Yep, but it can still be done with a javascript onclick handler.
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#17
however, not everyone is able to utilise javascript, breaking the site if that's the route you take.

The user should always be given the choice of where they want to open the window (same page/new tab/new window).
 

X-Istence

*
Political User
#18
Geffy said:
Ah UseIt, why am I not surprised. Nielsen really annoys me really. Some of his points are valid and make sense, others are just stupid and poorly backed up.


Agreed, but I do agree with his viewpoint on the opening new windows, only because I have seen the confusion it can lead to.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,014
Latest member
chawalsub