html question for bloggers

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
hey

is there a way to manually enter links so that the page opens in it's own window?

I can't find a setting to do it automaticaly and clicking a link navigates off my page so I'll add it manually to when I add a link

Last edited:
I hate anything which opens links in a new window, if I want a new window then I will open one.

Just my 2p

Geffy said:
I hate anything which opens links in a new window, if I want a new window then I will open one.

Just my 2p
Many PC/internet illiterate people don't know how to do that

I was reading some where that for the majority of people, when you get a link to open in a new window they don't even realize a new window has opened, and this only confuses them further.

I wish I rememebered the link.

Basically, you'll annoy the more experienced visitors, and confuse the beginners. Stick to keeping links opening in the same window.

A good rule to follow: let the user have control.

I think it's more of a designer perspective. Webmasters for the most part think if the page opens in the same window, and it's an external link, they won't come back to their site. I have always done it so that if it's an internal link, same window, external link, new window.

That's my P.O.V. :)

Geffy said:

Just my 2p

Agreed

Grandmaster said:
I was reading some where that for the majority of people, when you get a link to open in a new window they don't even realize a new window has opened, and this only confuses them further.

I wish I rememebered the link.

Basically, you'll annoy the more experienced visitors, and confuse the beginners. Stick to keeping links opening in the same window.

A good rule to follow: let the user have control.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

Don't break the back button!

wwwdjrcs said:
I think it's more of a designer perspective. Webmasters for the most part think if the page opens in the same window, and it's an external link, they won't come back to their site. I have always done it so that if it's an internal link, same window, external link, new window.

That's my P.O.V. :)

Ehm, a new Window opens, suddenly the back button does not work anymore. You just lost all your site views. They don't know how to get back to your site, so they go elsewhere. I have seen the browsing patters of quite a few people in a business where I was a contractor doing back-end work, and they got annoyed at new windows opening. Studies were done for the site, and people got most annoyed at new links opening a new window without them telling it to, some clicked out both browser windows immediately, others would continue browsing the newly opened page, and then use google to go do other things leaving ones website sitting in the background because clicking back did not do what they expected it to do, take them back a page.

Sorry, but the link I posted above explains it better than the endless case studies that have been completed, users hate it when something does not work like they want it to. I actually always close all sites that try to open links in a new window. If I want a new window, I will middle click it to open it in a new tab, or open it in a new window. Never do it for me.

For the most part (sites I really need aside) anything that causes a new window to open is usally instantly closed along with the side that triggered it. :/

Hasn't 'target' been depreciated in XHTML anyway? (i.e. the real way to make a page).

X-Istence said:
Ah UseIt, why am I not surprised. Nielsen really annoys me really. Some of his points are valid and make sense, others are just stupid and poorly backed up.

SPeedY_B said:
Hasn't 'target' been depreciated in XHTML anyway? (i.e. the real way to make a page).
Yep, but it can still be done with a javascript onclick handler.

however, not everyone is able to utilise javascript, breaking the site if that's the route you take.

The user should always be given the choice of where they want to open the window (same page/new tab/new window).

Geffy said:
Ah UseIt, why am I not surprised. Nielsen really annoys me really. Some of his points are valid and make sense, others are just stupid and poorly backed up.

Agreed, but I do agree with his viewpoint on the opening new windows, only because I have seen the confusion it can lead to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back