• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

html help please

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
my friends site, firedoglake as an interesting problem

if you click the comments link and post a comment, html tags are allowed, BUT if you leave a tag unclosed every subsequent post has that tag untill the original poster closes the tag

for instance if I forgot to close bold tags, everone's post that followed mine would be in bold

any solutions?

Last edited:

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
they don't want to do that

is there a "close all tags" tag that would be automatically posted when a person hits the submit button?

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
Damn, that's a bad bug. To fix it would require tinkering with Wordpress which is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I know your friends don't want to do this, but if they disable html they can use a BBCode plugin that can help with formatting comments...as a temp solution until the bug is fixed.

X-Istence

Political User
perris said:
*goes to pattent new command*

That would destroy the concept of HTML, and XML in general. As with one closing tag, suddenly multiple levels could be closed, which would become the biggest pain to parse for the browser on any level. Forget nesting then.

no u guys.... there is a way, however you would have to edit every submit button to get it to work.... wordpress is written in php right? why don't you just put a hidden input above the submit with a value of whatever tag you want to close automatically, then include an onsubmit attached to the submit button?

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
thanx techno, does anyone think they can make this work?

if so, could you post it in here with the code tags, I will suggest it to them

X-Istence

Political User
You could parse the form with JavaScript looking for open tags and then closing them, but it would be computationally heavy on the users machine, and in general is something to avoid.

The best bet would be BBcode which can be validated with a parser to check if all tags are closed and if not it would return an error to the user.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn