html help please

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
my friends site, firedoglake as an interesting problem

if you click the comments link and post a comment, html tags are allowed, BUT if you leave a tag unclosed every subsequent post has that tag untill the original poster closes the tag

for instance if I forgot to close bold tags, everone's post that followed mine would be in bold

any solutions?

Last edited:
they don't want to do that

is there a "close all tags" tag that would be automatically posted when a person hits the submit button?

Damn, that's a bad bug. To fix it would require tinkering with Wordpress which is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I know your friends don't want to do this, but if they disable html they can use a BBCode plugin that can help with formatting comments...as a temp solution until the bug is fixed.

good option, I'll suggest it

there are no "close all tags" commands in html?

Nope. You have to individually close each tag.

perris said:
*goes to pattent new command*

That would destroy the concept of HTML, and XML in general. As with one closing tag, suddenly multiple levels could be closed, which would become the biggest pain to parse for the browser on any level. Forget nesting then.

shucks

shows how much I know about HTML

*goes to cancel check to patent attorney*

no u guys.... there is a way, however you would have to edit every submit button to get it to work.... wordpress is written in php right? why don't you just put a hidden input above the submit with a value of whatever tag you want to close automatically, then include an onsubmit attached to the submit button?

when you say every submit button, couldn't it just be in the master template of the submit button?

i really don't know... haven't messed around with wordpress much... i have one registered however now that i have my own server i'm working on building /modding a different program

thanx techno, does anyone think they can make this work?

if so, could you post it in here with the code tags, I will suggest it to them

You could parse the form with JavaScript looking for open tags and then closing them, but it would be computationally heavy on the users machine, and in general is something to avoid.

The best bet would be BBcode which can be validated with a parser to check if all tags are closed and if not it would return an error to the user.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back