[HOW TO] Concurrent Remote Desktop in SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm having a similar problem. The local user is still being logged off when I use the RDP to connect. But, to add a new spin on things, the PC that I've changed the termsrv.dll file on is a member of a domain and the accounts that I am logging on and attempting to log on with are domain user accounts.

Would the fact that the PC is a member of a domain and the fact that the user accounts aren't locale to the system in question be the reason why the locally logged on user is getting disconnected?

Being an administrator of a around 30 PCs on a network, this feature would be extremely handy rather than having to kick users off their Windows XP Pro PCs so I can check things or run aduit software.

So, question is, does this hack/method work when the PC is in a domain? Has anyone got it to work on a PC in a domain?
It won't work on domain PC's because you need Fast User Switching and the Welcome Screen. Check this post out -

http://forum.osnn.net/showpost.php?p=493896&postcount=69

Have you tested and does it work/not work with SP3? Maybe just need to re-apply the hack if the modified files were replaced with the SP?

Not yet. Wasn't sure if it would work or mess something up. I only use it on my parents and sister's computer.

I haven't used it in a little bit so can't confirm or deny it still functions. It wouldn't surprise me though if it compared MD5 checksums of certain system files and replaced them when the SP was installed. I would think the hack could be re-applied if that were the case, but hard to know :)

Here ya go:

If you have multiple users on your Windows XP machine, you might have heard it is possible to patch the terminal services service, to support multiple concurrent remote desktop connection (via RDP) to your computer.

Around the time Windows XP SP1 was released, a patched version of the file termsrv.dll could be found on the Internet, replacing this file with your existing one enabled the concurrent remote sessions support.
Yesterday I upgraded to Windows XP SP3 (you may ask if it isn’t too early? maybe so, but since I’ve already been using the latest RC for some time now, I felt confident enough to apply this update on my home computer). Anyhow, after updating to SP3, I discovered my computer no longer supports concurrent remote sessions.

Short Googling returned few articles explaining how to patch the termsrv.dll to support concurrent sessions, so I pulled out my favorite HEX editor and with few clicks everything was up and running again.

To save so time for other users (and myself when upgrading more computers), I’ve packaged the updated termsrv.dll file with another file that will make the required changes to your registry. (see the included readme.txt file for further instructions).

Download the patched version: termsrv_sp3_patch.rar

Just wanted to confirm that this does work. I tested it on my sister's comp (which is my desktop, I'm loaning it to her as I don't use it. I use my laptop.)

shardron: please go back and read the last couple posts as they talk about sp3

i tried the same step but its not working for me... please provide the solution

I am assuming this patch is to the Host machine only, Also will this work for
Windows 7 ? mearle

happy.gif

Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) has Remote Desktop (RDP) service that allows the computer to be remotely connected, accessed and controlled from another computer or host. However, Windows XP machine only allows one concurrent remote desktop connection from a single user been connected to it with no multiple remote desktop sessions or connections support.

Whenever there is a remote user who user Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) client to connect to a Windows XP host, the local user is disconnected with the local console screen locked, with or without his or her permission. Remote Desktop, unlike Terminal Server Services in Windows 2000, Server 2003 and Server 2008, is designed for single user use only, no matter it’s local or remote user.

Here’s a hack to unlock the single user limitation and enable multiple concurrent remote desktop connection sessions support in Windows XP Professional and Media Center Edition, using a either a patched termserv.dll or old patched cracked termserv.dll build version version 5.1.2600.2055, so that unlimited users can simultaneously connect to a computer via Remote Desktop.

Download a copy of patched termsrv.dll (in ZIP file) which has the Remote Desktop connection limitation deactivated for your version of Windows XP:

Windows XP RTM, SP1 and SP2: termsrv.dll (version 5.1.2600.2055)
Windows XP SP2: termsrv.dll (version 5.1.2600.2180)
Windows XP SP3: termsrv.dll (version 5.1.2600.5512)

For information, the termsrv.dll patch normally has the following HEX code bits overwritten with following value:

00022A17: 74 75
00022A69: 7F 90
00022A6A: 16 90
Restart the computer and boot info Safe Mode by pressing F8 during initial boot up and select Safe Mode. This step is only required if you’re currently running Windows Terminal Services or Remote Desktop service, and System File Protection has to be skipped and bypassed, else it will prompt the following error message to restore the original termsrv.dll.

Windows File Protection
Go to %windir%\System32 and make a backup copy (or rename) the termsrv.dll.
Rename or delete the termserv.dll in the %windir%\System32\dllcache folder.
Copy the downloaded termsrv.dll into %windir%\System32, %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386 (if exist) and %windir%\System32\dllcache.
Then download and run the ts_multiple_sessions.bat (in ZIP file) to merge the registry value into registery, or you can run Registry Editor to manually add the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Terminal Server\Licensing Core]
“EnableConcurrentSessions”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
“EnableConcurrentSessions”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
“AllowMultipleTSSessions”=dword:00000001
Click on Start Menu -> Run command and type gpedit.msc, follow by Enter to open up the Group Policy Editor.
Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services.
Enable Limit Number of Connections and set the number of connections to 3 (or more). The setting allows more than one users to use the computer and logged on at the same time.
Ensure the Remote Desktop is enabled in System Properties’ Remote tab by selecting the radio button for Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.
Enable and turn on Fast User Switching in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off.
Restart the computer normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back