• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How much Ram is actually enough?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
i wanna get myself a huge pc upgrade (im talkin mobo, cpu, ram). anyways, i wanna know how much ram is enough for winxp pro. i wanna be able to play games really smoothly (using an apropriate video card of course), and most of todays games require 64+ of ram.

thanks, apu

D

dijital

well i'm sitting pretty with 512. it all depends on what you want to do. 256 is fine for the normal operation along with games. if you do any type of media encoding, photo editing, video editing, etc., the more ram you have the better the performance.

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
256MB is a usuable minimum for Windows XP. 512MB will increase performace even more. I would NOT recomend less then 256MB when running Windows XP

JJB6486

Nismo83

OSNN AZN Addict
I am running XP Pro with 256 RDRAM.. running pretty cool.. With some tweaks on the OS, it seems like flying though not so when compare with 512 MB...Preferably, try to get more than 256 MB...

XP after 512mb starts to utilize ram less efficiently (well there is just no need for it to actually)

I find 512 is more the adequate for every game and such. the only reason I have a gig of ram is for database and graphic work which can get memory intensive.

S

sconn

i have 384 MB DDRAM PC 2100 and i am running XP pro and its smooth no problems and most of the time i just use 60 % of the RAM and that is the MAX i can go even when i am playing games.

D

DoubleClick

Ram is fairly cheap now, heck I can get 266 DDR cheaper than 133 sdram :). Anyways go for the 512 since your doing a full upgrade.

S

stuy_b

Go for as much as you can afford at the time..as prices keep falling.. you can always add more later and it will probably be cheaper.

As for how much RAM you should have, on an XP system I'd say 512minimum.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierge