How much Ram is actually enough?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
i wanna get myself a huge pc upgrade (im talkin mobo, cpu, ram). anyways, i wanna know how much ram is enough for winxp pro. i wanna be able to play games really smoothly (using an apropriate video card of course), and most of todays games require 64+ of ram.

thanks, apu

well i'm sitting pretty with 512. it all depends on what you want to do. 256 is fine for the normal operation along with games. if you do any type of media encoding, photo editing, video editing, etc., the more ram you have the better the performance.

Minimum 256 to really have it work the way you want it. More if you can.

256MB is a usuable minimum for Windows XP. 512MB will increase performace even more. I would NOT recomend less then 256MB when running Windows XP

JJB6486

I am running XP Pro with 256 RDRAM.. running pretty cool.. With some tweaks on the OS, it seems like flying though not so when compare with 512 MB...Preferably, try to get more than 256 MB...

i'm running xp home with 128MB RAM... definitely not enough.... waiting for another 256MB stickin the mail....

Using 256 DDR. Works good. However, I will be upgrading to 512 as soon as I am able.

XP after 512mb starts to utilize ram less efficiently (well there is just no need for it to actually)

I find 512 is more the adequate for every game and such. the only reason I have a gig of ram is for database and graphic work which can get memory intensive.

i have 384 MB DDRAM PC 2100 and i am running XP pro and its smooth no problems and most of the time i just use 60 % of the RAM and that is the MAX i can go even when i am playing games.

Ram is fairly cheap now, heck I can get 266 DDR cheaper than 133 sdram :). Anyways go for the 512 since your doing a full upgrade.

Go for as much as you can afford at the time..as prices keep falling.. you can always add more later and it will probably be cheaper.

As for how much RAM you should have, on an XP system I'd say 512minimum.

I got 512Mb of SDRAM here but in my new PC I am planning on 512Mb DDR PC2100 RAM

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back