• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do I connect 3 computers to my broadband?

G

goldstar0011

How do I connect my 3 computers (in different rooms) to the internet using a HUB?
I know some basics about networking, just would like so advice on a cheap HUB, wires needed and how to setup!

I'd like them to share Internet, Hard Drives and Printer and Scanner!

Cheers

Instead of using a hub, get a router.

Then all you have to do is plug each of the computers into the router, plug the cable modem to the router's uplink port, and you're all set. Then share the files and printers on each of the computers.

Some routers also have built-in print servers that allow you to plug in a printer to the router so that it can be shared on the network.

chris

Free to Fly
Someone with better knowledge than me can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that using a router means that you dont need to have a PC permanantly switched on to use the internet as it is available seperately to each computer.

from my experience using a hub, the internet connection comes through one of the computers connected to that hub, so if that computer is not switched on the internet cannot be reached by the other computers.

again, sorry if this is way of or hard to make out

SkazzyUK

XP-erience Oldie
Chris you are correct :) and that makes perfect sense, if you go through a hub then one machine will have to dial up and share, is that pc isn't on, there will be no internet for the other machines. OIn the other case if you have a router then no machines have to be on for the internet to be running :)

Skazz

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Well the primary reason for a hub is when you have more computers than you have ports on your router. Like if you have 15 computers and 1, 5 port router. You use hubs to connect say 3 computers together and to the router 5X.

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router
.............|
.............|------------------|----------------------|
.............|.......................|...........................|
...........HUB..................HUB.....................HUB
......./....|.....\ .........../....|.....\............../.....|......\
....../.....|......\........../.....|......\............/......|.......\
...PC....PC.....PC...PC....PC.....PC......PC...PC.....PC

Originally posted by Maveric169
Well the primary reason for a hub is when you have more computers than you have ports on your router. Like if you have 15 computers and 1, 5 port router. You use hubs to connect say 3 computers together and to the router 5X.

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router
.............|
.............|------------------|----------------------|
.............|.......................|...........................|
...........HUB..................HUB.....................HUB
......./....|.....\ .........../....|.....\............../.....|......\
....../.....|......\........../.....|......\............/......|.......\
...PC....PC.....PC...PC....PC.....PC......PC...PC.....PC
Ya I made the mistake of getting a hub first (back before i knew anything about networking) but it's all good becuase now I use the router to conncet all the PC's to the modem, and then I needed the hub to get all my video game systems online throught the last port on the router :p So if you already got a hub, save it - it just may come in handy later on :D

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router ---------------- HUB--------GameCube
......./....|....\....................../...|...\
....../.....|......\................../.....|.....\
...PC....PC.....PC...........PS2..Xbox..Dreamcast

L

Larz

Conect 3 computers to 1 connections

I have presently 3 computers on one router, two are wireless. I use D-Link components. i would recommend when you chose components make sure they are the same manufacturer. They communicate better. My wireless works well in all rooms of my home. I love not needing a USB or ethernet line. Worth considering.

Regards
Lars

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown