How do I connect 3 computers to my broadband?

• Thread starter goldstar0011
  • Start date
G

goldstar0011

How do I connect my 3 computers (in different rooms) to the internet using a HUB?
I know some basics about networking, just would like so advice on a cheap HUB, wires needed and how to setup!

I'd like them to share Internet, Hard Drives and Printer and Scanner!

Cheers

Instead of using a hub, get a router.

Then all you have to do is plug each of the computers into the router, plug the cable modem to the router's uplink port, and you're all set. Then share the files and printers on each of the computers.

Some routers also have built-in print servers that allow you to plug in a printer to the router so that it can be shared on the network.

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router
......./....|.....\
....../.....|......\
...PC....PC.....PC

:)

Someone with better knowledge than me can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that using a router means that you dont need to have a PC permanantly switched on to use the internet as it is available seperately to each computer.

from my experience using a hub, the internet connection comes through one of the computers connected to that hub, so if that computer is not switched on the internet cannot be reached by the other computers.

again, sorry if this is way of or hard to make out

Chris you are correct :) and that makes perfect sense, if you go through a hub then one machine will have to dial up and share, is that pc isn't on, there will be no internet for the other machines. OIn the other case if you have a router then no machines have to be on for the internet to be running :)

Skazz

Well the primary reason for a hub is when you have more computers than you have ports on your router. Like if you have 15 computers and 1, 5 port router. You use hubs to connect say 3 computers together and to the router 5X.

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router
.............|
.............|------------------|----------------------|
.............|.......................|...........................|
...........HUB..................HUB.....................HUB
......./....|.....\ .........../....|.....\............../.....|......\
....../.....|......\........../.....|......\............/......|.......\
...PC....PC.....PC...PC....PC.....PC......PC...PC.....PC

Originally posted by Maveric169
Well the primary reason for a hub is when you have more computers than you have ports on your router. Like if you have 15 computers and 1, 5 port router. You use hubs to connect say 3 computers together and to the router 5X.

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router
.............|
.............|------------------|----------------------|
.............|.......................|...........................|
...........HUB..................HUB.....................HUB
......./....|.....\ .........../....|.....\............../.....|......\
....../.....|......\........../.....|......\............/......|.......\
...PC....PC.....PC...PC....PC.....PC......PC...PC.....PC

Ya I made the mistake of getting a hub first (back before i knew anything about networking) but it's all good becuase now I use the router to conncet all the PC's to the modem, and then I needed the hub to get all my video game systems online throught the last port on the router :p So if you already got a hub, save it - it just may come in handy later on :D

.........modem
.............|
.............|
..........router ---------------- HUB--------GameCube
......./....|....\....................../...|...\
....../.....|......\................../.....|.....\
...PC....PC.....PC...........PS2..Xbox..Dreamcast

I'd just like to say that ASCII drawings are great :D

Conect 3 computers to 1 connections

I have presently 3 computers on one router, two are wireless. I use D-Link components. i would recommend when you chose components make sure they are the same manufacturer. They communicate better. My wireless works well in all rooms of my home. I love not needing a USB or ethernet line. Worth considering.

Regards
Lars

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back