Hot 9800 Pro

Originally posted by Sazar
lol... well... whatever floats your boat dood :)

well come on how many people here can say they have one of the coolest mods video card, I mean honestly? :p :D I'm not crazy haha I swear.

Originally posted by Krux
well come on how many people here can say they have one of the coolest mods video card, I mean honestly? :p :D I'm not crazy haha I swear.

What mod, exactly, are we talking about here? Pictures?

Originally posted by scriptasylum
What mod, exactly, are we talking about here? Pictures?

its just passive thermaltake copper heatsink on the reverse of 9700pro I had... :)

it aids in cooling on the rear of the card...

basically it is blue with fins sticking up... looks kinda nice :)

btw... the mod he happens to be talking about... is... ME :D

Oh, ok.

Hey, remember that vidoe shaking thing I was talking about? Well, it seems to have gone away when I uninstalled MSN Messenger (!? WTF !?). Either it's a strange coincidence or that proggy is doing some weird stuff!

I want to restart over the next few days to see if it's really gone away. Now, back to cooling the thing. :)

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Oh, ok.

Hey, remember that vidoe shaking thing I was talking about? Well, it seems to have gone away when I uninstalled MSN Messenger (!? WTF !?). Either it's a strange coincidence or that proggy is doing some weird stuff!

I want to restart over the next few days to see if it's really gone away. Now, back to cooling the thing. :)

Aww crap! It's doing that shaking thing again. I'm gonna go back to the store and get another one. Oh well.

Well, the video shaking problem is still there. :(

I even exchanged the vid card for a new 9800Pro. I think I'll have to reformat/reinstall windows to get rid of it. I did notice that it doesn't happen in "DOS" or while XP boots (the little blue progress bar), only once it gets to the login and in Windows. I really don't want to reinstall until I get a new mobo/CPU since I'll have to do it again then anyway.

BTW: I got those RAM heatsinks (discussed in another thread) and they look sweet. They are a prefect match for the OEM GPU heatsink in color and style. They look like they were installed at the factory. Here's the link for anyone who needs some nice heatsinks for their 9800Pro:

http://www.xoxide.com/oczbgaramsink.html

My next step is to install the fan from an OEM Athlon HSF (I have lying around) onto the GPU in place of the one on there now. Should be fairly easy to do and since it's quite a bit bigger than the factory GPU fan, it should perform better.

are you positive it is the video card ?

there is nothing else in your system or setup that might be causing the fluctuations ?

if it is possible... get the company you got the card from to test it out in front of you(that is if you bought over the counter)...

if it continues to shudder... your culprit is apparent... if not... it may well be something else in your setup...

Originally posted by Sazar
are you positive it is the video card ?

there is nothing else in your system or setup that might be causing the fluctuations ?

if it is possible... get the company you got the card from to test it out in front of you(that is if you bought over the counter)...

if it continues to shudder... your culprit is apparent... if not... it may well be something else in your setup...

I am almost 100% sure it really isn't the card. It might be some leftover stuff from my old drivers. I removed all the old nVida stuff I could find.

Like I said in some earlier post, it started right after I removed my GF4 Ti4400 and installed the ATI card. Also, it's suspicious that the problem does not occur during POST, in "DOS", or during the blue XP loading progress bar. Only once I get to the logon and desktop does the problem present itself. It's really not that bad, kinda like when you've had a little too much to drink and the room sorta feels like it's not standing still... just not that bad.

It can't be a bad card since it was replaced. Therefore it could be drivers or just some garbage in my system somewhere. I might try d/l some new Hyperion drivers for my chipset, but I'm not too optimistic about that since the newest version just fixed some issue with SATA for win98. I'm using Catalyst 3.5s. Again, I've tried all sorts of resolutions, refresh rates, etc. I've even tried different FSB and AGP voltage settings to no avail. And no, the cards not overclocked.

I still think a format and fresh installation will fix this, but I still want to wait until I at least get a new mobo because it will most likely be nForce2 chipset.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back