• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hot 9800 Pro

#1
Hmmm, my 9800Pro gets pretty warm after running games for a while. I already ordered some ram sinks for the memory, but now am looking for an upgraded GPU sink. I would like something that fits as-is without too much hacking away at a heatsink. I've been to several sites that sell heatsinks, but none that I have looked at specifically say which heatsink will fit on this card. Any ideas?

I would rather not add another fan blowing on the heatsink (aside from the one on the GPU of course), even though that would probably be the easiest solution. The noise would be unacceptable.

I'll bet the card will run fine with the stock HSF, but I really hate that much heat on an electrical component! I don't even plan to O/C it at all; I've already tried it and the extra 10fps weren't worth the chances for damage. I just want a cooler card. :)
 
#2
Case mod time! Put a slow-moving 120mm fan (dead silent!) in the case right next to your card. Or a bigger fan for your GPU. Bigger fans are almost always quieter.

If you have a chance to listen to a 120mm, do so. They add hardly any noise at all.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#3
Originally posted by scriptasylum
Hmmm, my 9800Pro gets pretty warm after running games for a while. I already ordered some ram sinks for the memory, but now am looking for an upgraded GPU sink. I would like something that fits as-is without too much hacking away at a heatsink. I've been to several sites that sell heatsinks, but none that I have looked at specifically say which heatsink will fit on this card. Any ideas?

I would rather not add another fan blowing on the heatsink (aside from the one on the GPU of course), even though that would probably be the easiest solution. The noise would be unacceptable.

I'll bet the card will run fine with the stock HSF, but I really hate that much heat on an electrical component! I don't even plan to O/C it at all; I've already tried it and the extra 10fps weren't worth the chances for damage. I just want a cooler card. :)
you can always add zalmans massive passive cooler and stick a 120mm fan that they also sell with that arm to swing it into position :)

quiet... silent... good cooling...

all good :)

the card is 0.15 micron and @ the limits of the tech... ati has one last product on that process later this year which is amazing considering the other big IHV said that 0.15 micron process was dead :)

ergo you WILL get heat... :) but better ram sinks and the passive cooler/120 mm fan contraption from zalman may ease your mind AND run quieter than your current setup...
 
#4
Re: Re: Hot 9800 Pro

Originally posted by Sazar
you can always add zalmans massive passive cooler and stick a 120mm fan that they also sell with that arm to swing it into position :)

quiet... silent... good cooling...

all good :)

the card is 0.15 micron and @ the limits of the tech... ati has one last product on that process later this year which is amazing considering the other big IHV said that 0.15 micron process was dead :)

ergo you WILL get heat... :) but better ram sinks and the passive cooler/120 mm fan contraption from zalman may ease your mind AND run quieter than your current setup...
I think I like the fan-on-the-arm thing better than cutting another hole in my case. Or maybe I can simply mount a bigger fan (somehow) onto the existing heatsink; something like maybe 80mm.

Actually the current HSF on the card is pretty quiet. I can't hear it at all over the 4 case fans, 2 PS fans, and CPU fan that I have.
 

Krux

Nissan Powered
#5
I can hear mine but then again my computer is completely silent except my videocard, and ive touched the hsf on mine while it was running UT2K3 and man it burned my finger tip so im intrested to see what you use and maybe ill give it a go :)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#6
Originally posted by Krux
I can hear mine but then again my computer is completely silent except my videocard, and ive touched the hsf on mine while it was running UT2K3 and man it burned my finger tip so im intrested to see what you use and maybe ill give it a go :)
the zalman coolers are impressive... when passive they run a little hot but with an active 92mm cooler they are quite brilliant...

else there are some nice water blocks on the market..

alternatively... you can stick your rig in the fridge :D
 

Krux

Nissan Powered
#7
yah but im running a shuttle XPC which is about a 4th of the size of a normal pc so there isn't much room in it for big gian zalman flowers :) it uses heat piping and it keeps it fairly cool 45c-50c or roughly 111 - 122F. and those big heat pip passive coolers that zalman make for the 9700 are way to massive I wouldn't be able to put the side back on my case :)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#9
Originally posted by Krux
yah but im running a shuttle XPC which is about a 4th of the size of a normal pc so there isn't much room in it for big gian zalman flowers :) it uses heat piping and it keeps it fairly cool 45c-50c or roughly 111 - 122F. and those big heat pip passive coolers that zalman make for the 9700 are way to massive I wouldn't be able to put the side back on my case :)
k... perhaps you can find the 9800pro fan somewhere online and use that ?

it is a little more efficient in design and should therefore work a little better/cooler than your current cpu...

btw... what hardware do you have running in the SFF case ?

I have been considering buying one for a while... just haven't been tempted enough due to the small psu in it :(
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#11
Originally posted by Krux
I have everything in my sig running in it
nice...

btw... why my name ? its yours now init :)

-edit- btw am returning my AIW VE for a dual monitor cheapy pci card :)

should get a net savings of around 50-60 bucks... :D
 
#12
Another quick question (kinda off-topic)... The very minute I put the ATI card in and installed the drivers, the picture on my monitor shakes ever so slightly for a little while after I boot my PC. It's almost unnoticeable, but it's there. It almost acts like there's a power transformer nearby or something (like one used in flourescent lamps). There's nothing around it that would explain this. I would suspect the monitor going bad but it seems like a strange coincidence it happened right after I installed the new card.

It goes away after about 5 minutes. Doesn't matter if the monitor has been sitting all night before I turned it on or if I just reboot, it only happens when I get into Windows.

FYI: the cables are all attached well, the card is not overclocked. I removed my old nVidia drivers (from a Ti4400), and installed the Catalyst 3.5. Monitor refresh rate is at 70Hz (I did try lower and higher settings already). Case temps are low (~32°C).

Any ideas?I hope this is not an indication that there is something wrong with the card, it's only a few days old.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#13
Originally posted by scriptasylum
Another quick question (kinda off-topic)... The very minute I put the ATI card in and installed the drivers, the picture on my monitor shakes ever so slightly for a little while after I boot my PC. It's almost unnoticeable, but it's there. It almost acts like there's a power transformer nearby or something (like one used in flourescent lamps). There's nothing around it that would explain this. I would suspect the monitor going bad but it seems like a strange coincidence it happened right after I installed the new card.

It goes away after about 5 minutes. Doesn't matter if the monitor has been sitting all night before I turned it on or if I just reboot, it only happens when I get into Windows.

FYI: the cables are all attached well, the card is not overclocked. I removed my old nVidia drivers (from a Ti4400), and installed the Catalyst 3.5. Monitor refresh rate is at 70Hz (I did try lower and higher settings already). Case temps are low (~32°C).

Any ideas?I hope this is not an indication that there is something wrong with the card, it's only a few days old.
seems a little odd... dunno what could be causing that off the top of my head...

jitters should not abound like that unless there is some external thinger going on...

I have never seen the same with my video cards...
 
#15
scriptasylum

Sounds like your monitor does a degauss after it powers on. An emachine monitor i tried did that. Turn the monitor off wait a couple minutes and turn it on. If it happens again it's degasusign at turn on. Check the monitor menu to see if oyu can turn it off.
 

Krux

Nissan Powered
#16
Originally posted by Sazar
nice...

btw... why my name ? its yours now init :)

-edit- btw am returning my AIW VE for a dual monitor cheapy pci card :)

should get a net savings of around 50-60 bucks... :D
I dunno cuzz its a special 9700pro ;)
 
#17
Originally posted by LeeJend
scriptasylum

Sounds like your monitor does a degauss after it powers on. An emachine monitor i tried did that. Turn the monitor off wait a couple minutes and turn it on. If it happens again it's degasusign at turn on. Check the monitor menu to see if oyu can turn it off.
Well, my monitor does have a degauss, but it's not that. I see the degauss work when I turn on the monitor. The shaking is quite minute in comparison and lasts for about 3 minutes.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#19
Originally posted by scriptasylum
Well, my monitor does have a degauss, but it's not that. I see the degauss work when I turn on the monitor. The shaking is quite minute in comparison and lasts for about 3 minutes.
you did say this did not happen with your previus gpu ?

degaus should not last that long... not 3 mins anyways...

other shaking could possibly be a signal issue.. either interference or with the card itself...
 
#20
Originally posted by Sazar
you did say this did not happen with your previus gpu ?

degaus should not last that long... not 3 mins anyways...

other shaking could possibly be a signal issue.. either interference or with the card itself...
No, it only started as soon as I put the ATI card in. I really hope it's not the card. This is the first ATI I have purchased in a really long time and I would hate to become jaded my first time back. If I have to take it back, I think I'll have to get the Fx5900 instead.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,012
Latest member
Sierge