Help upgrading an iBook 500mhz

BillBrasky82

OSNN Junior Addict
Ok so I decided not to buy a newer laptop and just upgrade my old iBook. I bought a new hard drive and a new combo dvd/cdrw drive. I am still waiting on the combo drive to come but i have been doing some research as to how to best approach this upgrade, only other laptop ive ever worked on was a dell, and ive heard Macs are less friendly to user upgrades. I have found a pretty good link to a site that tells how to upgrade the hard drive but I havent really found anything that talks about upgrading the optical drive. Does anybody have any links that may be helpful in showing how this can be done with the least amount of hassles?

Thanks

Tom

installed the hard drive... with only 1 extra screw!!!

haha, waiting on the cdrw/dvd drive to show up so i can install that and attempt my first install of OSX heh

A cat or dog could install OS X, it's so easy. :D

heh well heres hoping the cdrw drive comes tomorrow and i can get it all installed and try this sucker out... the old 10GB drive didnt allow me to really explore anyuthing at all

You may need PatchBurn if the new optical drive isn't supported (needed to use this to get my Pioneer 108 fully recognised :)).

Link: http://patchburn.de/

any tips for after i install the hard drive n how to get it to be recognized by the OSX installer?

I am at the point in the install where i have to select a destination volume and nothing is showing up in the window except the mac OS x install cd

hmm nevermind i think i found the disc utility on my 10.1 disc

Hard drives are just drop-in. I have four in my PowerMac, obviously you can only fit one in an iBook but it's still the same concept.

If the disk isn't showing, it's likely not formatted. Click file(?, might be the apple... it's an option on the menu bar anyway) whilst in the installer and select the disc utility to format :)

yeah it wasnt formatted, i had to put in my 10.1 installer which had the disc utility on it and it formatted and installed fine

still waiting on that cdrw though haha

alright got the cdrw installed, only 4 extra screws this time and that was after triple checking everything...

haha oh well everything seems to be in order... now to see fi this thing recognizes it

wow osx is amazing, it just works

turned the machine on and it just works... no drivers... no foolishness... nothing...

makes me want to go out and drop the money on a new one now haha

heh this this moves so nice and fast now with the newer hard drive in it and everything that its going to be quite suitable for me for a while... now i just gotta find my panther install discs... and pray that tiger works on ti

Apparently some of the Tiger leaks have been reported to run quite well on 400 and 500Mhz iBooks. So you should be ok :)

sweet thats what ive heard but im not going to get my hopes up till the final comes out

Can't wait for it myself. Will hopefully be within the next 4 months at the most.

yeah thats what im hoping the stuff they have on apples website looks pretty good

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back