Have a laugh on me - name my computer too?

Name them after fighter planes:

Hawker,Supermarine Spitfire, Thunderbolt, Hellcat, Skyraider, Flying Fortress, Starfighter, Crusader, Thunderstreak, ThunderChief, Hawker Hunter,
Phantom, Hawker Harrier, Mirage, Intruder, Dragon Lady, etc ...

Name them after your OSNN family :p

Balder, Odin & Thor? Norse Mythology?
hack, wheeze & cough?

At work we have a vast network of arrays of R200 Network Appliances and disk shelves, because they cant have matching names, need a corresponding name for the Fiber channel mirror of each appliance, and because they are used world wide, they pick one cartoon to rpresent each site.. for instance... here in tampa, we are The flinstones.. (more appropriate because they were in the dark ages at the time we got the NetApps)
so its barney / fred, wilma / betty
for a very small sight its pinky and of course the_brain

Mary Jane, Blunt, Fattie, Doobie, etc....
Two Rocks, Twig, Mounds, Almond Joy, Beaver, etc....
Dub Dub, Bling, Roll,etc...

On a side note, I remember reading this IT journal about appropiately named servers. One was named Marilyn, because she always goes down.:eek:

Mine are rather uneventfull:

Tombstone, Dragonflame, Transponder, BiteSize, Portege, Breached, Devil, Useless, Crashless, Palmer, Heap.

Not really any general order, just things I randomly picked out of the air. BiteSize for instance refers to my iBook and the fact that it is small enough to just eat in one bite. Breached got it's name since I had to cut out a hole in it's case for a side fan. Tombstone, Crashless, Useless are all old machines. Tombstone being the only one still alive :p. Devil being a compaq, imagine :p. Dragonflame was cool because I wanted flames on the side of my case, and never got them. Transponder since for about 3 months it was lost in the house somewhere, but responded to ping and SSH. Portege is a laptop. Heap came about when I kept screwing up some programming, and kept corrupting the heap, it was my test machine. Palmer is my machine on the wall. I call it my palmer, since I can carry it around like a tray on my hand because the places where the screws go are just wide enough apart to give me a place to put my hand, and keep it stable at the same time.

School store's computer is named POS-666 (Point of sale device #666), it is the 666th computer we have had to get for the store, that is how much bad luck they have had with them. (It is a cash register/timer all in one, so it "babysits" the fresh baked cookies).

Good luck naming it.

X-Istence said:
Devil being a compaq, imagine :p.

I think Compaq is a good brand (well now it's HP). My laptop is Compaq and I live it. Desktop's I'm not too sure.

X-Istence said:
Transponder since for about 3 months it was lost in the house somewhere, but responded to ping and SSH.

You have got to be kidding! It this you? http://bash.org/?5273

X-Istence said:
School store's computer is named POS-666 (Point of sale device #666)

So is it a Piece of $hit as well?

X-Istence said:
Transponder since for about 3 months it was lost in the house somewhere, but responded to ping and SSH.
Nice, at college a proffessor I had told a story about this company that had a system like that. They couldn't locate it for the life of them. Then one day they went to remove a wall to replace the wireing in the build or something and there it was .. hidden in the wall ! :D

you could break up a name Bart used to crank call Moe's Tavern in The Simpsons to name your computers. Like "Amanda Huggandkiss" could become Amanda, huggen, kiss. Or "Hey would you cuddle me" could become Hey, Wouldya, Cuddleme. As you'd need more names, you could add on some of what Moe said when calling the names out or ad lib.

LordOfLA said:
heh you want to find te netbios name of one of their important servers and call your machine that :D

lol i had to stop reading after this you are evil lord lol. very evil lol.

OK guys - going to wrap the thread up and think I repped all those that stayed OT too - which took two goes (phew!)...

Anyways - in conclusion - here is how the story ends (obviously I had to email back to the guy and aim towards keeping client happy too...)

Below suitably anonymized to protect the innocent :p

Newtwork admin manager,

FYI I have renamed my networked computers and shall make similar changes to my hosts file just in case.

I did try looking around the corporate portal for any network naming standard reference, but could not find any and perhaps you wish to consider this – given the presumed possibility that I might have chosen your DNS name server name by accident, or possibly a more central server. Hopefully I have avoided such a collision given that:-

SexyBitch is now Pig
Bollox is now Dog
And Baby AKA Pauls-laptop is now Dragon

Forseeable future names will all also be named after Chinese Years.

Happy New Year to you also

MFG

[EDIT] Oh yeah and as a PS TB is TittleBitties, like I often get called MFG and I seriously was curious what he might say and maybe he is off the forums for a bit...

Oh and PPS - if any mod thinks this is amusing enough then by all means move it over to the jokes and humour forum :) [/EDIT]

Last edited:
Mainframeguy said:
OK guys - going to wrap the thread up and think I repped all those that stayed OT too - which took two goes (phew!)...

Anyways - in conclusion - here is how the story ends (obviously I had to email back to the guy and aim towards keeping client happy too...)

Below suitably anonymized to protect the innocent :p

[EDIT] Oh yeah and as a PS TB is TittleBitties, like I often get called MFG and I seriously was curious what he might say and maybe he is off the forums for a bit...

Oh and PPS - if any mod thinks this is amusing enough then by all means move it over to the jokes and humour forum :) [/EDIT]
Interesting choice of names, and probably a safe way to go as you mentioned clients are involved.

And thanks for clearing up the TB mystery ;)

I guess with my new name, there are no acronyms :eek:

Admiral Michael said:
You have got to be kidding! It this you? http://bash.org/?5273

So is it a Piece of $hit as well?

Nope not me for the bash quote, but a friend of mine. Transponder was put in the attic without my knowledge by my dad since he found it made too much noise when in the basement and there were guests, I did not find it until a while later, when I went up there to grab some of the old hardware I store up there.

As for the POS, yes it is a piece of crap.

Can't believe no one mentioned: Moe, Larry and Curley. Then you could add Shemp.

Or Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, and Large Fries. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back