Have $35,000 USD to Spare?

holy crap, pretty cool but I would never buy that if I could.

I think it is more for libraries, places like that.

I wouldn't think a home-user would ever have a reason to :)

What a rip off. You can buy a 1000 hardcover or 5000 paperback books for $35,000.

You just cut the binding off (throw away the copyright page) and run the pages through a regular scanner. Then reprint it on the laserjet with prepunched spiral bound paper and snap on the binder ring. Or just run the pages through the copier without scanning.

Sigh, low cost, efficient copyright violation is a lost art. People have been doing it since the 1970's without a digital universe. Bah, kids! ;)

is this how they make ebooks? i always wondered how they make ebooks of the real books, that look digital not scanned.

Probably something similar, that would be a sucky job to feed that machine though :s

PIRACY!!! >_<

e-books are actual text, not scanned. That would be why they look "digital" :rolleyes:

SPeedY_B said:
PIRACY!!! >_<

e-books are actual text, not scanned. That would be why they look "digital" :rolleyes:
no i mean the ones that are exact copies and have diagrams pictures, etc

I've seen some online, which are an exact web based copy of the actual book, which might have been in print, and is copyrighted from some year back in the 1950s-1980s or so... No mention can be made of piracy, when the website is owned by the same organization that published the books in the first place :D

But no, I wouldn't bother buying one of these, even if I could. What would I use it for? Besides, an actual book is a bit more portable then my desktop here. I can take the book anywhere, and easily read it in bed or wherever else. Can't say that with my 19" CRT ;)

LeeJend said:
What a rip off. You can buy a 1000 hardcover or 5000 paperback books for $35,000.

You just cut the binding off (throw away the copyright page) and run the pages through a regular scanner. Then reprint it on the laserjet with prepunched spiral bound paper and snap on the binder ring. Or just run the pages through the copier without scanning.

Sigh, low cost, efficient copyright violation is a lost art. People have been doing it since the 1970's without a digital universe. Bah, kids! ;)

That's how I got through University ;) Pleasant memories. heh.

:laugh:

That's how I had to get through Oracle DBA (database administration) 1... The materials which were provided by Oracle, were provided via a PDF file (or actually 2), with the college having a copy of written permission from Oracle to print up the course book for each student, so we could take it to Kinkos or wherever else...

However, I didn't feel like paying for this, so printed it up in the computer labs. Now granted, we were technically limited to 20 pages per day, but I'd sometimes get through this by printing 20 pages at one lab, and then walking to another lab on campus to get the next 20 pages, come back, or whatever. I got the whole thing printed before end of semester, and was able to keep ahead of the chapters we needed for class.

Did I feel guilty? No, and at UNM where I printed this, tuition had gone up to like $160 per credit hour, increases in parking, and even instution of fees to get the CRN number for a book we were looking up on Libros, so we could get it off the library shelves to borrow, and other ways they found to nickle and dime us... Also, of all the years I have gone to school there, I've seldom printed all that much, having nothing to print most days. It all balances out :D

ahh ok i thought the post, i was like wheres the question mark?

That would be cool if you were making an online database.

But why not just buy a database from someone.

I'll agree that a liberary could use it. I suppose if you were an online book seller, like amazon it would be pretty nice.

Now they have to make one that will scan and convert the pages to hypertext so it will create a massive website with thousands of pages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back