Half-Life 2 Episode 1

Game plays/runs perfectly fine for me.

No stuttering issues and the HDR looks lovely.

I personally think it was a little short but yes, they did answer some questions and they have introduced some other questions for the next chapter.

I am enjoying so far. I love running it at 1680x1050 MAX Everything!!! It looks so sweet!

ElementalDragon said:
at first it didn't wanna load when i started a new game (bar seemed to stop about 3/4 loaded). actually had to restart since the task manager didn't wanna show up, Alt+f4 didn't work, and no message saying it crashed. after restart it loaded just fine, but had the same thing Luna had...... stuttering at some parts, mostly for a little bit after a loading screen.
Dragon, That's what I was having also, worked thru it last night seem to be woring fine now.

pentium 4 ht processor 630 3.0 ghz
sony dual layer dvd rewriter
nvidia geforce 256mb
250gb hard drive
512mb ram

would i be better changing proccesor and ram to get better gaming performances

Last edited:
What video card do you have?

Unfortunately the description given doesn't help much.

yeah, same as Sazar. need to know what model video card it is in order to give a definitive answer on whether or not that should be changed. 256MB of video memory COULD be a 7900GT...... then again it could also could be around the GeForce 4 series (sorry..... i know it could be ATi too.... but i don't know ATi's general timeline). an extra 512MB of RAM wouldn't hurt.... most games nowaday seem to recommend a gig. your P4 seems like it should be fine....

I bought the game but haven't installed it yet. Too busy playing Armored Fury to try to resolve some of it's issues and write up my review.

Hey Guys, is this an expansion pack?

I could buy it for $14CDN at Staples, but don't know if it's a full game. Does it need my HL2 reinstalled, cause it's on Steam account.

Thanks

Heeter

To be honest... I am not sure. It says it "expands the legendary Half Life gaming tradition with:"

But that could also mean they are adding it on to the series. I have the box here in front of me and have yet to install it. I've been playing the BF2 expansion Armored Fury, as well as playing Worms 4 Mayhem

You should be able to get all the components you need dl'ed when you go through Steam to play the game.

It should be a stand-alone part although I would be shocked if someone is going to play this w/o playing the original HL2 segment. :D

Btw, on my system I have CS:S and HL2: Ep1 only, I don't have HL2 dl'd currently since my last format.

Well, I played the game, and this time around you HAVE to use your brain... That's one of the nice features. I sort of cringed when they had Alex tell a joke. Anyway. Great game. Maybe I'll do a small review on it.

Sheps

that's the one thing i found interesting about all the games from Source. they don't need HL2 installed. all i have installed right now is Episode 1 and HL2DM. i would say i'd download HL2 x64 to see if there's any difference.... but i'ma wind up formatting soon anyway, since x64 is being weird.

edit: Sheps.... i liked Alyx's comment on what the doc was saying when you get into the little safehouse.

Yeah. That was a good comment.

Overall, I liked the games thinking. But it seemed to me that you think more everywhere at the beginning, and less towards the end.

took me no time to clear it, great game.. seems like a new approach to selling games that take years to develop. split it up into portions, and sell and distribute it that way.

whoever raised their hand in the boardroom and came up with that suggestion, better be compensated... freakin genius!

The teaser at the end gives for some interesting questions as to Episode 2. Is Alyx alive or what and is that damn G-Man gonna pop up anywhere in it? But more importantly is Dr. Breen still alive in a host body or did he eat it at the end of HL2. It's good that you tend to think your moves more so as not to get stuck or pinned anywhere. Fun Fun.

i find the storyline to be so abstract that it has become interesting. kind of reminds me of the evolution of the matrix storyline.. how it went from cult favorite to some over the top sci-fi thriller. i will continue to support the hl2 line, and any hl line for that matter. it really isnt a case of hit or miss, you know your getting quality.

only bad thing is i read in an interview with Valve that supposedly now the episodes are basically HL3. hope they have some NIIIIIICCCCEEEEE engine/graphic improvements in the next one. and i wish they would FIX freaking HL2DM!!!! lazy freakin valve.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back